Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Disassembly View - Long pause, seems like a hang but isn't (Read 10420 times)
CapnBry

Disassembly View - Long pause, seems like a hang but isn't
Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I've turned this on and once my compile finishes and it spits out the "Binary sketch size..." my VS 2010 hangs and starts sucking up one whole CPU. Checking in process explorer I see that it has spawned avr-objdump and as soon as that exits (approximately 23 seconds later) Visual Studio starts working again.

If I run the command myself, it dumps the disassembly to my file and exits immediately:
"C:\Arduino\src\build\windows\work\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-objdump"  -h -S  \FridgeControl.elf"  > x

I've also tried it with a standard Arduino-1.0.1 directory with the same results. Any idea where I should be looking for more information on what's happening?
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2012 at 7:01pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Disassembly View Hangs
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I hope you don't mind I have split this into a new thread so that the original discussion author doesn't receive lots of emails.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it another try later.

Two questions...

1) Is that a custom board def "atmega328bb"?

2) Can you please try to compile with the uno board selected to help narrow things down

Thanks

IP Logged

CapnBry

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Yeah no problem. Sorry about gloming onto the old thread. I've just tried it with an "Unu" target and the results are the same. I just happened to have a larger project open and this time it took a lot longer.

Blink.ino: Almost instantaneous disassembly generation.
FridgeControl.ino: 16kB, ~24 second disassembly generation.
HeaterMeter.ino: 23kB ~50 second disassembly generation.

So it might be something related to the size of the sketch. devenv.exe's memory spikes up and down a few times during the process (the first level is ~200MB, the spikes are ~500MB, final value ~360MB). 

ProcMon shows very little file or registry activity from either devenv.exe or avr-objdump.exe

EDIT: Visual Studio 2010 Professional by the way, Windows 7 Pro x64
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2012 at 8:30pm by CapnBry »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
That's great info. I'll try to nail it later today. Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Okay I see what you mean, it always gives a disassembly report but there is a huge pause, longer for big projects.

Interesting it's the same problem we sometimes see when avrdude can't upload. I investigated the same problem using the arduino ide and found that while the avr programs can take a long time to terminate they actually return the correct output almost immediately.

Currently vm waits for the process to terminate before returning results. The arduino.exe, on the other hand, returns as soon as it gets any output and leaves the process in the background to terminate as and when.

So as soon as I get a mo I will look at re-coding the process launcher in vm. I've been meaning to do this for a while. Now we have something that is easy to reproduce and test it will be easier.

Hope you don't mind I have altered the title of the post slightly so that other users can see it more easily.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2012 at 7:00pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

CapnBry

Re: Disassembly View - Long pause, seems like a hang but isn't
Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Hrm that's interesting. It's not a big deal for me, especially once your next version will have a link to the output directory in the compiler results. I already have a batch file in my "sendto" menu that calls the avr-objdump so I just right-click -> send to -> disassemble. When it is integrated into Visual Studio it will just be that much more convenient.

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Tim
The same happens in the release that I am testing.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
That sounds good. I have also added an option to use the latest winAVR which might (or might not) work better anyway.

Based on your comments I will also test with .net3.5, 4.0 and 4.5. I wonder if there is a difference. I didn't have time to look into it yesterday, I was testing something else in VS2008 but has disassembly switched on and it seemed to run very quickly.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012 at 1:32pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
@Marius, thanks I am going to take a look at it as soon as next release is published.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint