Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Silence PROGMEM initializer warning (Read 5591 times)
CapnBry

Silence PROGMEM initializer warning
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
It would make me ever so happy if Visual Micro silenced the warning:
Code
Select All
fcmenu.cpp : In function 'state_t menuMinRunTime(button_t)'
fcmenu.cpp : Warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
fcmenu.cpp : Warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area 

This useless gcc warning makes it really tough to spot actual warnings in the compiler output. I believe this was fixed in avr-gcc some time ago but who knows when Arduino is going to get that version. Note that it displays the function name once then one warning for each PSTR(), F(), or PROGMEM data value.

Have I mentioned how much more productive I am in Visual Micro than I am under Arduino? I had forgotten how easy using visual studio is to write code and how their editor isn't pants-on-head insane. Love it!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Silence PROGMEM initializer warning
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Great to hear that.

What about the latest version of winAVR? Would it be fixed in that? 

If so, the next version includes an option to allow you to override the avr path. I don't know if it's supported by Arduino or not but it worked okay in my few tests.

IP Logged

CapnBry

Re: Silence PROGMEM initializer warning
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Nope! The "latest" WinAVR is from 2010, and this was fixed in 2011. There are avr-gcc v4.7 binaries available for windows, but those break the Arduino core due to some minor code fixups. I'd rather not have to alter my arduino core for compatibility reasons, so the next best thing (for me) would be to just hide the messages. Too bad gcc doesn't support suppressing warning types in a generic manner!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint