Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Download without build (Read 12842 times)
Marius
Developer

Download without build
Oct 27th, 2012 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Tim
Can I request a feature - button or the likes, that will allow me to download and run the last compiled version without having to recompile the whole lot?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Download without build
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Yes you are not the first to request this. I'll try and put it  in next ver.

Just so I know, what circumstances make this useful to you? Using a single board for different programs at different times? Cloning a arduino program onto several boards?

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
All the things that you mention are valid and less frequently used but mostly, the Mega has a tendency to loose comms with the IDE. You have to unplug the USB and then download again to continue working. The Mega does not have the same bootloader as the UNO and others. They make use of the Optiboot. A very nice piece of code. The creator of that has not yet decided to port it to the Mega so the Mega is still running on the ancient bootloader.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
1) Are you saying that if you close and re-open the serial window with dtr enabled the arduino doesn't reboot and/or the serial port is unavailable?

2) When you say continue working are you referring to re-starting a debug session?
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2012 at 9:09pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Info above will be useful but I have one last big question?

Where should the option to download last go. On the "Project" menu, "Build" menu, "Debug" menu, "Tools" menu or somewhere else?

Working this out is the most difficult part of this job  Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Yeah well you were obviously asleep  Grin

Next release notes now include ...

4) "Project>Upload Last Arduino Build". New menu item and user interface macro. It is possible to change the board prior to upload, in this case, if you had previously compiled the sketch for the newly selected board, it is the .hex (program) of the newly selected board that will be uploaded. Which might not be the last build!

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 5:26am
Print Post  
I have to sleep some time you know.

The port becomes unavailable. So the best thing is to unplug, wait three secons and plug in a again.

I think it is up to the user to know if the last build was for the board he is using or not. also if it was a debug or release build. This normally happens while debugging so I dont think it is a big issue. Well not for me anyway.

If you have not been busy with the project for a while and cannot remember what build it is, I am sure that to rebuild once is not a big deal. The annoying problem is while you are debugging and the port goes missing.

I would have suggested a button to reload but whatever you provide will be good enough thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Do you really think that sleep is good use of time?

You can add your own buttons with vm commands to any vs tool bar/menu and also create your own favorite tool bars and menus. But in the future I plan to add more options in various locations that can be switched on/off via the options

I would like to look into this port problem. If it only happens when debugging then there is something I must be able to change.

Are you using breakpoint wait/pause for F5 when you debug? This isn't a known arduino problem is it?
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2012 at 5:57pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Tim
Sleep is a waste but for some reason I just have to do it sometimes, I dont understand it myself.
I am using breakpoints but mostly not with the pause. I normally just want to look at a variable.

I think the port problem is related to the Arduino Mega and its bootloader.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Okay, because we don't get the problem with normal upload I am going to add some short delays when the port is reset during debug start. 

The upload has these delays on the serial but the debug starter does not. It might help. I'll look at it some more and try to reproduce.

What op sys are you using?

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Win 7

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Okay I have found a mega 2560 that shows in device manager with driver version 1.0.0.0, date 01/01/2008 and provider = PJRC.COM.LLC. 

Driver Details Button = usbser.sys, microsoft,  6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

Does all of this match what you have?

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
This is mine

Arduino LLC (www.arduino.cc)
2007/11/15
5.1.2600.0 (version)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
That's interesting. 

PJRC.COM, LLC is Teensy.

I installed the Teensy upgrade to Arduino 1.0.1 some weeks ago. I must have installed it before I installed the driver for my 2560. (I've got a new pc so the driver wasn't installed)

It looks like the Teensy update also updates the arduino usb drivers which makes sense because Teensy does a lot of usb stuff.

Paul at Teensy is one of the only people allowed to check in new Arduino updates on GitHub so he knows what he is doing. Has some nice boards that are worth looking at.

Anyway, VM and all the normal Arduino stuff continues to work correctly after the Teensy upgrade. So how about applying it and then updating your usb driver from the upgraded arduino drivers folder?

I would be very interested to know if the problem goes away because I have been clicking F5, uploading and debugging a 2560 repeatedly for 20 minutes without error. Even my dog looks bored  Grin

If it doesn't fix it I would like your sketch, project, solution files and to know what libraries to install to replicate what you are doing??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint