Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can't open or create new project in Visual Micro (Read 5799 times)
Nelson
Newbies

Can't open or create new project in Visual Micro
Jun 9th, 2013 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Hello.  I went ahead and purchased the Visual Micro add-in  to help support this great tool for Visual Studio, even though I was unable to beta test much as a beta tester. I just installed the Visual Micro add-in tonight along with Arduino v1.0.5, but am having some issues.

1). In VS 2010, I click on File->New->Arduino Project and type a name.  I get the solution to open (in the solution explorer), but nothing else.  No window to see/type my code showing the void-loop.  I would expect a blank window (tab) where I can type code with the void loop function.  Do I need to have VC++ installed as part of Visual Studio?

2). If I open an existing example in the Arduino folder, I select the INO file and it opens the solution in VS 2010, but again no source code - nothing shows up!  Just the solution name in the solution explorer.

Do I need Atmel Studio 6.1 installed?

I have other add-ins installed and am wondering if perhaps one is conflicting with this or if I'm missing something else.  For example does anyone have CS-Script, JetBrain's Re-Sharper, and Xamrain Mono for Android installed with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you very much for your time.

Nelson

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Can't open or create new project in Visual Micro
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Hi,

Yes we use C++ projects so you need VC++ installed

+

If you are going to use 1.0.5 you should delete the two libraries called robot_motor and robot_control. You will find them in the Libraries folder below the 1.0.5 install.

1.0.4 is recommended at the moment for that reason.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2013 at 2:42am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Chris Bonnert
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Thank you Nelson for raising this issue, I have spent a long time trying to get the Visual Micro add-in to work with similar results, although I also had Visual Studio crashing, making me think it was a problem with Visual Studio. 

Please will the makers of Visual Micro do 2 things to make life easier for folk like us:

1) Make it very clear in the pre-requisites that the C++ language module of Visual Studio must be installed first. I use C# and therefore have had no need for the C++ module, until now.

2a) Update the installer to check for this pre-requisite during installation, or

2b) When starting an Arduino project, make the add-in check for C++ instead of just giving a blank panel with no indication that anything is wrong.

Chris.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestions. Since this recent post we have decided to try to show a better error message in VS when the C++ is not installed.

The requirement for C++ is already in a number of threads on this forum and is also clearly shown in the documentation>pre-requisites on codeplex, however I agree that codeplex do not make this tab very obvious but we can't change that.

Thanks again for the suggestions

ps: I have switched on your email notifications for new posts
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2013 at 11:03am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint