Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Sketch building error (Read 19627 times)
Alexander12
Newbies

Sketch building error
Jun 15th, 2013 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
I created a new project and got the following error:
Quote:
Compiling 'p004_gateway_v1.0' for 'Arduino Uno'
Build folder: file://C:\Documents and Settings\axillent\Local Settings\Application Data\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\p004_gateway_v1.0\uno
core.a(main.cpp.o)* : : In function `main':
main.cpp : undefined reference to `setup'
main.cpp : undefined reference to `loop'
Error creating .elf

I've installed visulamicro just two weeks ago and my first sketch created was compiled successfully, but a new one created today failed. That is a reason?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Sketch building error
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Hi,

This usually means that the main setup() and loop() functions are missing from your code. These two functions are required by Arduino.

I also notice that your sketch name is invalid, Arduino likes very simple sketch names. I think the . will cause a problem.

You should rename the folder and the p004_gateway_v1.0.ino to p004_gateway_v1

You have not stated if you are using visual studio or atmel studio. In either case if you manually rename then you should delete the .sln,.asln,vcproj,.proj files that exist in the folder of the respective IDE. Visual Micro will re-create the IDE files when you open the newly named sketch.

Thanks

IP Logged

graynomad

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Did you resolve this?

I've also been using VM (VS2008 version) for a while and after cleaning up some folders I get this on both my projects.

EDIT: Sorry VM, I didn't notice your response. I started with totally clean folders, just my source files, but I'll have another look.

_____
Rob
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2013 at 3:03am by graynomad »  

IP Logged

graynomad

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Update:

I cannot get a compile any more, I have a totally clean folder called genieArduino_v1 with a .CPP, .H and .INO files of the same name

Code
Select All
Compiling 'genieArduino_v1' for 'Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK'
core.a(main.cpp.o)* : : In function `main':
main.cpp : undefined reference to `setup'
main.cpp : undefined reference to `loop'
avr-objcopy* : : Arduino_v1.elf': No such file
avr-objcopy* : : Arduino_v1.elf': No such file
Couldn't determine program size:

I also deleted every folder in

C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\

I'm officially stumped now.

_____
Rob

IP Logged

graynomad

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 4:51am
Print Post  
OK, stop looking, I think I sussed it.

I was developing a library and had what will be the library source file in the same folder with the test sketch but with the name "genieArduinoLib.cpp". 

I renamed the "lib" file from genieArduinoLib.cpp to genieArduino.cpp thinking it would be nice to have all the files the same name, at the same time I cleaned up and renamed a few folders and so assumed that was at the root of my problem.

But I think what happens is that the Arduino toolchain renames x.ino to x.cpp at some point during the "compile", now you have two files with the same name and who knows what havoc that causes. Presumably what I saw above.

I changed it back to genieArduinoLib.cpp and it works.

So I've posted this for future reference.

_____
Rob

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Yes the Arduino build process involves merging all ino/pde files into a single .cpp with the same name as the sketch, so it would cause a problem to include a source of the same name in your project.

The build process occurs in a temp folder so your sources were protected even though the build failed.

Thanks for the update.

IP Logged

Cosmo
Newbies

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Removing the "." from the file name worked for me. I had a filename "Motionv2.0". I left the project name as Motionv2.0, but just did a Save As... to Motionv2p0, and it compiled and uploaded properly (as first reply in the thread suggested).

happy arduinoing!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Yes thanks for the post. You are right, the underlying Arduino tool chain only supports simple file names, less than 30 chars, can not start with a number or contain punctuation.

IP Logged

Fatihs
Newbies

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Same Error for me

compiler.path=P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\tools\avr\bin\
includes= -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino"  -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\mega"  -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire"  -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\libraries"  -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries"  -I"P:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers"  -I"P:\Users\WorkPalace\Documents\Arduino\libraries"  lity"
a2560
build.project_name=a1
riants\mega
archive_file=core.a
ga2560\WString.cpp.o
uino\WString.cpp
mega2560\a1.cpp.o" \Wire.cpp.o" \utility\twi.c.o" 
build.architecture=avr
r\bin\
vmresolved.tools.path=P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\tools\avr

Compiling 'a1' for 'Arduino Mega w/ ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)'
Build folder: 60
Summary: Header=1 Prototypes=3 Imports=1
Additional Defines: VISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1;
Architecture Tools: P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\tools\avr\bin\
GCC: 4.3.2
Sketchbook: file:///P:/Users/WorkPalace/Documents/Arduino
Include Path 'P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino'
Include Path 'P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\mega'
Include Path 'P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire'
Include Path 'P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\libraries'
Include Path 'P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries'
Include Path 'P:\Users\WorkPalace\Documents\Arduino\libraries'
"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++" -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=156 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\mega" -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire" -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\libraries" -I"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries" -I"P:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers" -I"P:\Users\WorkPalace\Documents\Arduino\libraries" pp" -o pp.o" -DVISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1
"P:\PicWorld\ProgramS\arduino-1_5_6-r2\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-gcc" -Os -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -o lf" pp.o" \Wire.cpp.o" \utility\twi.c.o" .a" "-LC:\Users\WorkPalace\AppData\Local\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\a1\mega_atmega2560" -lm
a1.cpp.o:In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0'
a1.ino:LiquidCrystal_I2C(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)'
a1.cpp.o:In function `loop'
a1.ino:setCursor(unsigned char, unsigned char)'
a1.ino:setCursor(unsigned char, unsigned char)'
a1.cpp.o:In function `setup'
a1.ino:init()'
a1.ino:backlight()'
a1.ino:cursor_on()'
a1.ino:blink_on()'
Error creating .elf

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Faiths,

If it is the same error that was resolved by this thread then please remove the invalid characters from the file name. It is an Arduino restriction that limits the file names to simple characters.

If it it not the same error then please create a new thread and also email the verbose output after "build>clean solution" to info[a]visualmicro.com

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint