Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Arduino Due Programming Port & Erase/Reset buttons (Read 1952 times)
bonz

Arduino Due Programming Port & Erase/Reset buttons
Jun 30th, 2013 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I am using VM/Atmel Studio 6 to program the Arduino Due using the programming port. It is was my understanding that this method streamlines the program upload process on the Due so that I don't have to push the Erase/Reset buttons every time I want to upload a program. However, in my setup I still have to press the Erase/Reset buttons every time I want to upload a program otherwise my Com port is not recognized.

I am using Windows 7 and initially when I plugged in the Due Windows automatically recognized the Arduino Due Programming Port & installed the driver for it. If I try to manually update the driver using the one that came with the Arduino software (Arduino 1.5.2 Beta) Windows says the driver is up to date.

I am using VM Beta version 1.1305.21

Thanks in advance for your replies.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2013 at 4:17pm by bonz »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Arduino Due Programming Port & Erase/Reset buttons
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Do you have the same problem when using the Arduino IDE?

IP Logged

bonz

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
The Arduino IDE works fine and can program the Due repeatedly with no need to Erase/Reset at all.

IP Logged

bonz

Re: Arduino Due Programming Port & Erase/Reset buttons*SOLVED*
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Weird...tried everything to no avail, even changed the USB cables. However, changing the Due board to another one fixed the problem. This of course created a new Com port number on the PC. The board functions perfectly otherwise. So far I tried 3 other boards (with 3 other Com port #s) and they all work fine except for this one which only has this particular problem. Tried deleting the Com port and letting windows re-install it but it still does the same thing and assigns it the same Com port #. 

I seriously doubt the board has a hardware defect since this is the only problem with it. Somehow I think it is a Windows/Com port issue. Anybody knows a way to dissociate a board and a Com port number on the PC and assign it a different Com port #?

VM/Atmel Studio 6 IDE function perfectly...thank you for such an awesome tool...you are brilliant!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update and your support.

If you switch the pc off then re-start does it sort out the problem? Normally this wouldn't be required but it sorted a usb issue for me once Smiley

Can you confirm that the Arduino IDE works fine with the board that fails? Sorry if this is a repeat of an answered question but I am wondering if the Arduino IDE worked with one of the other boards or the one that fails?

Does the board that fails show with the same usb driver as the others in device manager?

Normally you can use the properties in device manager to change the COM port of a board.

Thanks

IP Logged

bonz

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Arduino IDE also fails on that defective board. Actually the Arduino IDE cannot program that board even after pressing the Erase/Reset buttons but the VM/Studio 6 can at least program it after Erase/Reset. All other boards work fine with Arduino IDE as well as VM/Studio 6.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update. Possibly a duff board, I assume you have checked it uses the same usb driver that is used by the ones that work?

IP Logged

bonz

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Yes it is the same driver that Windows installs for each Com port after I connect the board up. The other boards are on different Com port numbers on the same PC and they work fine, so I'm assuming that the board is bad.

Thank you for your help and fast replies.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Agreed, thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint