Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Project properties not correct? (Read 7916 times)
Doug Basberg

Project properties not correct?
Jul 8th, 2013 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
I may have setup my project incorrectly.  When I look at the project properties they are related to win32 rather than Arduino.  No place to turn on debugging like the intro video.  Can you tell me what I did wrong?  The compile and upload for blink look fine and the addition of debug code and compile look OK.  I have trace 'when hit msgs defined.

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Re: Project properties not correct?
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I have another clue to my problem.  I have received the following error message when opening any project.  " Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.08" <CR> " ERROR: ERROR HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component".  I wonder if my install is corrupt now and I need to re-install all the Micro Visual software?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Can I assume from the error that you are using Visual Studio 2008?

It is possible that you have not installed C++ for your Visual Studio 2008 system?

Visual Micro hijacks the standard win32 c++ intellisense system so when you open or create an Arduino project the system expects to be able to use the C++ system.

Therefore it is correct to see win32 but no error

Finally you should ignore the project property pages and simply press F4 or "View>Properties Window" when a project is selected in the solution explorer.  This should show the properties tool window that appears in the video on the debugger page?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2013 at 10:24pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 12:26am
Print Post  
It is VS2008 Pro and I have C++ installed.  
New Arduino projects always give me the COM error noted in previous post.  I also noticed, if I ignore the error message and proceed, there is no 'Compile' tab at top.  I notice a 'cygwin' path in the attributes which points to my Cygwin directory on my win7/64 machine (is this a problem?)  I think I may have to start over with both your Arduino plug in and the debugger plug in.  
I suppose removing both before re-installing would be wise.  Any suggestions on procedures to remove and re-install?  
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2013 at 12:37am by Doug Basberg »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Did you try running the install then clicking repair?

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I have tried many approaches to eliminating the 'ERROR HRESULT E_FAIL' problem to no avail.  I decided to try using Visual Micro with Atmel Studio 6.1.2674-sp1.  I downloaded Arduino 1.5.2, then Atmel 6.1, then VisualMicro msi.  I installed Arduino and tested (OK), then Atmel Studio6.1 and tested (OK).  Then executed Visual Micro msi.  Afterward, 'the Atmel Studio - tools - options' did not contain a Visual Micro directory and appears to not be aware of Visual Micro.  What did I do wrong?  I am sorry to be so poor at getting things setup Embarrassed.  I do appreciate the help I am getting, especially from Tim.

BTW, I have Visual Studio 2008 Pro and Atmel Studio 6.1.2674-sp1 on my Win7/64bit machine.  Does the directory hierarchy need to be specific?  Can VM handle both on same machine?

When I get something working correctly, I want to activate my debugger license on the working IDE (is the license valid for both IDEs on one machine?)

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2013 at 11:09pm by Doug Basberg »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The debugger license can be activated in any VS/Atmel Ide and will apply to all.

I assume your vs 2008 is working okay but only have a problem in Atmel Studio?

It sounds like the installer is failing. Please install 1305.21 of Visual Micro by clicking the downloads at the top of visualmicro.com

This will take you to our codeplex site. Click DOWNLOADS>Visual Micro for Arduino Beta Channel and you will see 1305.21.

Thanks

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 12:12pm:
Hi,

The debugger license can be activated in any VS/Atmel Ide and will apply to all.

Thanks

I assume your vs 2008 is working okay but only have a problem in Atmel Studio?

Yes, the error message is from 'Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.08' and says 'Error: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component' so a VM dynamic link library is receiving a problem from a COM component.  I do not know how to fix that.  I hesitate to delete and re-install my VS 2008 because it has been many years working on windows applications with the current install and I perceive too much risk messing with that.

It sounds like the installer is failing. Please install 1305.21 of Visual Micro by clicking the downloads at the top of visualmicro.com

I have been using 1305.21 and the problem persists.

This will take you to our codeplex site. Click DOWNLOADS>Visual Micro for Arduino Beta Channel and you will see 1305.21.

Thanks

Good news! I found a post under Atmel Studio Beta forum that said 'check Tools>options>addins/macro security>locations.'  I found no entry for Visual Micro, so I added a path to VM and that fixed the problem.  I have run a small program I wrote and all works including Debug!  Happy days!  Back to S/W development.  I still can not use Visual Studio, although it worked previously.  Perhaps I can get it working someday with a future version of VM.
In any case, I am happy to be back to program development...current project is an incubator for chickens with temp and humidity control and data logging.

Thanks for all your help Cool

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Great that was going to be my next suggestion to check the macros and security path.

You certainly will not need to re-install VS. But also in VS try to create a new empty win32 C++ project without using the vm options. Does this show an error?

Your project sounds fun, thanks for persisting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint