Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upload Fail (Read 24325 times)
Gil

Re: Upload Fail
Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
The file automatically inserted in the Device Programming windows is the *.elv file from the debug directory.
This file is the penultimate version build. 
The very last version is in the ....\Local\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\Blink\atmega8x  directory. 
The last version build will appears in the debug directory on the next build.
In other words, I have to compile 2 times to get the right version in the debug dir.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #21 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Hi,

We will look at that thanks. As I said copying the output to the project output folder is new in the beta. We have always historically just built the .elf to the temp build folder I described earlier, This is how Arduino works.

The fact that atmel auto prompts the elf from the build folder is a reason for the new feature. However  the device programming dialog is an Atmel feature and not really connected to the standard Arduino development tools but as you can see we are working towards extending closer to atmel but without breaking arduino.

You can change the path in the device programming dialog to point to the real build folder that I described to you earlier. Out of interest what are you hoping to achieve with the device programming window that is not provided by the programmers list?

IP Logged

Gil

Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I agree its not a big deal to set the build path instead of the debug path in the Device programming windows, but I feel that you are on the good way to solve the issue. 
The programmers list from Arduino includes the AVRISP in the list, but avrdude does not work with the atmel studio usb driver. 
I know its possible to replace the driver to have avrdude working but I don't think Studio 6 will still work with it. I actually never tried it but according lots of informations found on the net it won't.

Thank's for you help, I learned lots of interesting things

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #23 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks. 

Actually in the beta we also support the first of the Atmel native programmers as alternatives for the exact reason you describe,

Look on tools>visual micro>programmers and you should see some Atmel options at the end of the standard Arduino programmers list. 

These atmel programmers do not appear in the Arduino ide and use the atmel atprogram.exe command line tool (in background) that is installed with atmel 6.1/6.2. 

Burning of bootloader is not yet implemented for the native atmel programmers but is already working

I don't know all the different programmers and options but if you have a set of atprogram.exe commands that work with certain hardware then please post and we will add to the programmers list in the next release. The idea being that were possible we do things automatically for less experienced users.

IP Logged

Brian Millier

Reply #24 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
I have found the same issue as Gil- i.e. when I am using Atmel's Programming window, (required if you need to use the AVRISP mk II ), then the programmer download file window will point to the folder that VM makes in the project/debug folder. As Gil so elequently stated, the elf file is that of the pentultimate build, so it really throws you off when your freshly programmed MCU is always one step behind any edits you make!   
  As you said, if you manually change this to point to the temp build folder, you will get the latest build. However, every time you go back into the programming window, it reverts to the project/debug folder.
  I corrected this by changing the tools/options/programming dialog/ "load from project" option to False, from the true default.
   However, I think this is going to throw many people off. I would prefer if the project/debug folder were refreshed after every build. 
FYI- this "delayed" update of the debug folder explains why the .cpp files that I sent you (during our last exchange) did not contain any breakpoint code. I was sure I had not screwed up, but at that time I would not have thought of hitting F7 twice, to bring the project folder up to date.
Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #25 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks Brian, I thought that only the elf/hex files are copied to the project output folder, no cpp files except in the real build folder?

IP Logged

Brian Millier

Reply #26 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:59am
Print Post  
yes Tim - I made a false connection between the rwo situations. The cpp files were from the temp build folder and the delayed write of the elf file does not apply to this folder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint