Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) avrdude problem with VM (Read 28388 times)
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: avrdude problem with VM
Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Hi John,

yes I am happy to focus on the problem, I think this forum is testament to that fact.

For most users the multi project option works well, we will certainly find why it fails for you. However the multi project feature retaining the board setting and com port is a small tiny part of Visual Micro. being able to develop and upload to an Arduino from Atmel or Visual Studio is the product, it is huge and it is free. 

Managing multi-projects in a single solution is just the icing on the cake and I think it is wrong to consider having two copies of the Ide open a fudge. Especially wrong for you to shout about a waste of time when you could have easily opened a 2nd Ide with one project and uploaded without issue.

Show me one other Ide on this planet that does it! In fact show me one other Ide that does half of the Arduino stuff that visual Micro does?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Hi John,

I have looked at the two projects. Please tell me which parts of this you disagree with.

1) LevConsole

Is set to use COM4 and an upload attempt had been made.

2) LevRemote

Is set to use COM3 and an upload attempt has never been attempted.

Summary

One thing you say above that possibly shows some confusion, or maybe me just being slow...

Quote:
but it does influence which target/comm port the system gets "stuck on". It's always the start-up project. I did state this on an earlier post.

Yes this sounds correct. The upload port should always be the port of the start-up project. Only the start-up project is ever uploaded. 

Maybe the confusion is you have found a hole that needs plugging. If you click upload then Visual Micro should only ever compile and upload the start-up project.

Your earlier post shows an attempt to upload LevRemote. You have said 'gets "stuck on". It's always the start-up'. Are you saying Visual Micro allowed you to attempt upload for a project that was not the start-up project? If so then what did you click to initiate the upload?

Thanks

IP Logged

John Fitter

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
2) LevRemote Is set to use COM3 and an upload attempt has never been attempted.

Well it was attempted by me but not by VM. When I attempted to upload to the remote device it went to the console device instead, on com4, which can actually be a danger to the device.

Quote:
Yes this sounds correct. The upload port should always be the port of the start-up project. Only the start-up project is ever uploaded.

Ok, so this is so, then this raises some important questions.

1/ In an Arduino programming environment, what circumstance would lead to two projects that do not get targeted to different devices? This is easy to answer in a more complex traditional programming environment with multiple sources and targets, but the Arduino environment enforces simplicity - even the folder name must match the source filename, and other very restrictive things too. If you are making two projects in Arduino then they are going to two different targets and thats how Arduino enforces it.

2/ Why is there an option to select different upload ports (on the ribbon) for each project? Clearly the setting is saved in the project files because the setting is persistent across ide restarts, however it appears to ignore it when an upload is requested.

3./ Another item arising from an earlier post in this thread, and relevant here. Rarely do I want to compile AND upload. It is common for the code to be in a condition that is hazardous to the target device - eg. ports configured as outputs that are connected to active lines. A regular compile, however is not unusual, just to confirm that the code is syntactically correct, or all includes are there. Nothing is worse than coding all day only to have a thousand errors on the first compile, and at no time during that day was the code in a fit state to upload. That is why I have been using "build" and "upload last build" ( I did do it the way you asked which made no difference to the problem under discussion).   

Quote:
Maybe the confusion is you have found a hole that needs plugging

That comment makes me feel more confident the issue will be addressed. Thankyou.

cheers, JohnF

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Okay I can see the confusion, it is not a hole in Visual Micro but some misunderstandings. There is new documentation on the way thjat might help.

1) You had not appreciated the importance of the start-up project to the upload process, that's a relief! Smiley

2) Visual Micro saves the board and port for each project so that when you set as Start-up project the correct board is selected for you.

3) Visual Micro saves the board for each project so that during program edit/intellisense and compile the correct options for the selected board are provided.

4) In an Arduino programming environment no target is saved for each project. It does not have a project file. The target is saved once for the entire ide. Each separate Arduino instance can use a different board and port but only one selection can be retained. So I don't understand your point about how Arduino enforces the different target for different projects.

5) So to be clear for me, was the problem, when pressing F5, a different project was compiled and upload (the startup proj) and that the board was not connected?

6) Yes the Build menu F7 functionality is not connected to the start-up/upload project and provides build based on the selected board at anytime.

7) "Upload last" means upload last build and is a relatively knew feature. It sounds like it needs explaining better or making it's working more obvious. This is why I asked you not to use it early on in this discussion because I suspected there was more fundamental misunderstandings.

8)
Quote:
Maybe the confusion is you have found a hole that needs plugging

Quote:
That comment makes me feel more confident the issue will be addressed. Thankyou.

I hope the new manual that is in draft only will help. It will be reviewed to ensure the importance of the start-up project for uploading.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2014 at 6:38pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Hi Tim,

not on the subject, but I had a look at the manual, triple wow  Smiley.

What tool are you using, is it Help & Manual ?

Thanks

IP Logged

Heinz Kessler

Reply #25 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Hello,
@Gilles: I am the author of the manual. Thank you for the comment!
I use Microsoft Expression web 4 for authoring and a tool called SnagIt for the screenshots.

Heinz

IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #26 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Heinz,

I know SnagIt, very good tool. Your topics area clear, and the graphics, which are wonderful help make a picture of the topics. One more reason to be impressed by VisualMicro  Cheesy.

IP Logged

Heinz Kessler

Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Hi Gilles,
thanks again.

If you find anything missing or badly described in the manual, please let me know.

Heinz

IP Logged

Brian Millier

Reply #28 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Heinz- Excellent work on the manual. In the 
"Compiling, uploading and running your sketch"
section, the following link is broken
"switch off the two stage compilation"
i.e it doesn't show up, at least on my IPad  Smiley

IP Logged

Heinz Kessler

Reply #29 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Hi Brian, there was a bug in my html postprocessing stage when a href contained a "#". This is now fixed and there should be no more broken links.

Heinz

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint