Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Arduino Due - 'No device found on COM' error using FTDI Cable (Read 22105 times)
Tyler15

Arduino Due - 'No device found on COM' error using FTDI Cable
Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,

I've hit a brick wall with my project.  I'm currently developing a board based on the SAM3X chip from the Arduino Due, and I have a few Due boards that I've been using for testing.  The project has exceeded the capabilities of the Arduino platform on its own, and so I'm attempting to migrate everything over into Atmel Studio 6.1.  Visual Micro seemed like the perfect stepping stone, but unfortunately it would seem that it doesn't support the use of an FTDI cable to program the boards.  To clarify, I can program the Due with the FTDI cable through the Arduino IDE all day long, without any problems.  

I'm using an FTDI cable (as opposed to a JTAG setup) for security reasons on the final product and it saves money and space on the board by not having to implement the ATMEGA16u chip to utilize a USB port.  

So I installed VM, and it works fine to program a Due or an Uno using the respective USB cables.  If I try to connect the Due using an FTDI cable - 5v, Gnd, Reset, TX0, and RX0 - it will not recognize that there is a device on the COM.  The COM shows up, it's COM25 on my machine, but it says that there's no device on it.  

I've tried using SAM-BA, as well as BOSSA, only to learn that those don't work with the Arduino specifically, and that Arduino uses a patched version of BOSSA to upload to the Due.  I can understand that, but what makes no sense is why if I try to run the bossac.exe from within the Arduino files (assuming it's the modified version), it still won't recognize the device on the COM.  

Moving back to VM, I assumed that because VM simply references the files that the Arduino uses, it would use the same BOSSA version, and should therefore be able to program the Due using the FTDI cable.  However, this does not seem to hold true.  

I've been banging my head against my desk for two days on this, and I suspect it will be many more days before I get this solved.  Ultimately, I need a way to program the Due using the FTDI cable with a .bin file generated by Atmel Studio 6.1.  How I get there really doesn't matter to me, but the more integrated into Atmel Studio it is, the better - so VM would be a great solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Tyler

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Arduino Due - 'No device found on COM' error using FTDI Cable
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Hi Tyler,

It sounds like the windows wmi database that we use to resolve driver names it not working correctly.

Please switch off friendly port menus and friendly port list in the communications section of tools>options>visual micro then re-start atmel

Thanks

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim,

No luck.

Something else I forgot to mention - occasionally, the chip that it pulls up and thinks it's programming to is an ATmega2560, which is the chip from the Arduino Mega, not the Due.  I haven't figured out what causes it to change to that, and I haven't figured out exactly how to change it back.  I'm sure that's part of the problem, but I know it isn't the whole problem because even when it does come up as the ATSAM3X8, it still does not work.

Edit: Just tested something else that might help - If I program a sketch with a serial print using the Arduino IDE, ASCIITable for example, and then I open the COM port in Atmel Studio, it does display whatever the Arduino is printing to it.  So, the COM port is definitely there, and the device is definitely there.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:55pm by Tyler15 »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Oh I see I think this is just some confusion.

Select the correct board and port using the Visual Micro tool bar then press F5 or Debug>Start (green or blue arrows)

http://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Upload-and-Run.html

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014 at 8:06pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
No, you misunderstood me, I apologize for not making that very clear.  

I am selecting Arduino 1.5.x in the Micro Apps drop down, Arduino Due (Programming Port) in the Micro Boards dropdown, and the COM port it's on in the Serial Ports drop down.

Following those instructions, here's what I get out of Atmel

[code]Compiling 'Fade' for 'Arduino Due (Programming Port)'
Binary sketch size: 26,160 bytes (used 5% of a 524,288 byte maximum) (1.17 secs)
The usb debugger has been activated in 'Automatic Debugging' mode
Compiling debug version of 'Fade' for 'Arduino Due (Programming Port)'
Binary sketch size: 26,724 bytes (used 5% of a 524,288 byte maximum) (1.68 secs)
Uploading to I/O board using 'COM25'
No device found on COM25[/code]

What I meant by saying the chip it pulls up is the ATmega2560 is this - 

If you click on the Device Programming button (Atmel's button, not VMs) it brings up a page with all the chips available to write to, and it states that the current chip is the ATmega2560.  Another way to look at this would be to click the button on the second default Toolbar at the top of Atmel Studio that has a little blue chip symbol and the name of a chip on it - that button brings up the "Device" menu for the current solution file, as well as some additional tabs.  

Let me know if that makes sense, I can grab some screen shots if not.   

Thanks!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Oh okay sorry thanks for explaining

Ignore what Atmel Studio says for now. This doesn't affect anything.

Please switch on tools>options>visual micro>compiler> "verbose" then try the upload again. We should see the command line that is being used for the upload attempt in the verbose output.

Out of interest what do you mean by using an ftdi. It this just a standard micro usb cable? How is the board powered?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
No worries.  I will ignore Atmel, I wasn't sure if it was really an issue or not, but it confused me the first time I saw it.

Here's the cable I'm using.  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9717

The purpose of the FTDI cable is to program the Atmel chips in a standalone or custom board configuration.  The FTDI chip in the cable main connector replaces the ATmega16u2 chip on the Arduino, and connects directly to the TX0 and RX0 pins.  It receives power by connecting the 5V supply from the cable to the VIN pin on the Arduino.   

I'll have to split the verbose output up into two more posts, it won't fit in this one.  What's interesting is that it is definitely using the same bossac.exe file that Arduino is using, yet it still won't work.  Obviously there's more to programming the Arduino than just the BOSSA program alone.   

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Code
Select All
Compiling 'Fade' for 'Arduino Due (Programming Port)'
Build folder: g
Summary: Header=1 Prototypes=3 Imports=0
Additional Defines: VISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1;
Architecture Tools: C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/g++_arm_none_eabi/bin/
Sketchbook: file:///C:/Users/Tyler/Documents/Arduino
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\cores\arduino'
Include Path x'
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\libraries'
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\libraries'
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Documents\Arduino\libraries'
one-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Dprintf=iprintf -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=84000000L -DARDUINO=154 -DARDUINO_SAM_DUE -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -D__SAM3X8E__ -mthumb -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x003e -DUSBCON -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="\"Unknown\"" -DUSB_PRODUCT="\"Arduino Due\"" "-IC:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\system/libsam" Include/" /ATMEL/" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\cores\arduino" e_x" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\libraries" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\libraries" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Documents\Arduino\libraries" cpp" -o cpp.o" -DVISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1
one-eabi-g++" -Os -Wl,--gc-sections -mcpu=cortex-m3 e_x/linker_scripts/gcc/flash.ld" dbg/Fade.map" -o elf" "-LC:\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\Fade\arduino_due_x_dbg" -lm -lgcc -mthumb -Wl,--cref -Wl,--check-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--entry=Reset_Handler -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--warn-section-align -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--start-group lls_sam3.c.o" cpp.o" x/libsam_sam3x8e_gcc_rel.a" a" -Wl,--end-group
one-eabi-objcopy" -O binary elf" bin"
Binary sketch size: 26,160 bytes (used 5% of a 524,288 byte maximum) (1.59 secs)
The usb debugger has been activated in 'Automatic Debugging' mode

Compiling debug version of 'Fade' for 'Arduino Due (Programming Port)'
Build folder: g
Additional Defines: VISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1;VM_DEBUG;VM_DEBUG_ENABLE 1;VM_DEBUG_BANDWIDTH_THROTTLE_MS 50;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_HARDWARESERIAL 0;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_SOFTWARESERIAL 1;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_FASTSERIAL 2;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USB 3;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TEENSY 4;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART 5;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USART 6;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USBSERIAL 7;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TTYUART 8;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_NET_CONSOLE 9;VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART;
Architecture Tools: C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/g++_arm_none_eabi/bin/
Sketchbook: file:///C:/Users/Tyler/Documents/Arduino
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\cores\arduino'
Include Path x'
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\libraries'
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\libraries'
Include Path 'C:\Users\Tyler\Documents\Arduino\libraries' 

Code
Select All
one-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Dprintf=iprintf -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=84000000L -DARDUINO=154 -DARDUINO_SAM_DUE -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -D__SAM3X8E__ -mthumb -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x003e -DUSBCON -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="\"Unknown\"" -DUSB_PRODUCT="\"Arduino Due\"" "-IC:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\system/libsam" Include/" /ATMEL/" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\cores\arduino" e_x" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers\VM_DBG" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\libraries" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\libraries" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Documents\Arduino\libraries" cpp" -o cpp.o" -DVISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1 -DVM_DEBUG -DVM_DEBUG_ENABLE=1 -DVM_DEBUG_BANDWIDTH_THROTTLE_MS=50 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_HARDWARESERIAL=0 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_SOFTWARESERIAL=1 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_FASTSERIAL=2 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USB=3 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TEENSY=4 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART=5 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USART=6 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USBSERIAL=7 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TTYUART=8 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_NET_CONSOLE=9 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE=VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Code
Select All
one-eabi-gcc" -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -Dprintf=iprintf -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=84000000L -DARDUINO=154 -DARDUINO_SAM_DUE -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -D__SAM3X8E__ -mthumb -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x003e -DUSBCON -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="\"Unknown\"" -DUSB_PRODUCT="\"Arduino Due\"" "-IC:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\system/libsam" Include/" /ATMEL/" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\cores\arduino" e_x" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers\VM_DBG" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\libraries" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\libraries" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Documents\Arduino\libraries" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers\VM_DBG\VM_mem_check.c" -o G\VM_mem_check.c.o" -DVISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1 -DVM_DEBUG -DVM_DEBUG_ENABLE=1 -DVM_DEBUG_BANDWIDTH_THROTTLE_MS=50 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_HARDWARESERIAL=0 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_SOFTWARESERIAL=1 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_FASTSERIAL=2 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USB=3 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TEENSY=4 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART=5 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USART=6 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USBSERIAL=7 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TTYUART=8 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_NET_CONSOLE=9 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE=VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART
one-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Dprintf=iprintf -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=84000000L -DARDUINO=154 -DARDUINO_SAM_DUE -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -D__SAM3X8E__ -mthumb -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x003e -DUSBCON -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="\"Unknown\"" -DUSB_PRODUCT="\"Arduino Due\"" "-IC:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\system/libsam" Include/" /ATMEL/" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\cores\arduino" e_x" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers\VM_DBG" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\libraries" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\sam\libraries" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers" -I"C:\Users\Tyler\Documents\Arduino\libraries" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers\VM_DBG\VM_DBG.cpp" -o G\VM_DBG.cpp.o" -DVISUALMICRO_COMPILER_VER=1 -DVM_DEBUG -DVM_DEBUG_ENABLE=1 -DVM_DEBUG_BANDWIDTH_THROTTLE_MS=50 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_HARDWARESERIAL=0 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_SOFTWARESERIAL=1 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_FASTSERIAL=2 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USB=3 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TEENSY=4 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART=5 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USART=6 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USBSERIAL=7 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_TTYUART=8 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_NET_CONSOLE=9 -DVM_DEBUGGER_TYPE=VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_UART
one-eabi-g++" -Os -Wl,--gc-sections -mcpu=cortex-m3 e_x/linker_scripts/gcc/flash.ld" dbg/Fade.map" -o elf" "-LC:\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\Fade\arduino_due_x_dbg" -lm -lgcc -mthumb -Wl,--cref -Wl,--check-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--entry=Reset_Handler -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--warn-section-align -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--start-group lls_sam3.c.o" cpp.o" G\VM_mem_check.c.o" G\VM_DBG.cpp.o" x/libsam_sam3x8e_gcc_rel.a" a" -Wl,--end-group
one-eabi-objcopy" -O binary elf" bin"

Binary sketch size: 26,724 bytes (used 5% of a 524,288 byte maximum) (1.65 secs)
Uploading to I/O board using 'COM25'
Uploader started for board Arduino Due (Programming Port)
Uploader sometimes uses programmer name: avrisp
Upload method will be: bootloader
Uploading via Bootloader
Flushing the serial port
C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\tools\bossac.exe -i -d --port=COM25 -U false -e -w -v -b bin" -R
Send auto-baud
Set binary mode

No device found on COM25

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the verbose confirmation which looks okay. We use the command called bossac.exe to upload because this is what is defined in the Arduino configuration for the "Arduino Due"

Please confirm how the board is powered? I read an article in the arduino forum where sometimes the bossac returns "no device" during upload when powered via mains and not via usb.

We will try this ourselves later today but maybe you can test.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 1:34pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I've got another idea on this - the verbose output from Atmel got me thinking, since we know exactly what VM is doing, why not compare it to exactly what Arduino does?  

Fortunately they have verbose output available, and so I printed it out.  

Here's the part that stood out to me - 

Code
Select All
Sketch uses 26,160 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524,288 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM25
C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/bossac.exe -i -d --port=COM25 -U false -e -w -v -b C:\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\Temp\build6812266851120796943.tmp/Fade.cpp.bin -R
Send auto-baud
Set binary mode 

Could that have something to do with it?  That line doesn't appear in the VM verbose output (unless that's what 'Flushing the Serial Port' means).  I know that it's required, to get the proper reset, I've read about it more than once.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks Tim!
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:32pm by Tyler15 »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks.

Yes I suspected the reset was the issue and see your image you have emailed thanks. 

Normally Visual Micro does the 1200 baud reset if specified in the Arduino config files. 

I will take a look later and give it a try. We certainly perform the reset normally for the Due and also for other boards such as the Leonardo.

Maybe Arduino 1.5.4 which I see you are using had a slightly different config key to specify reset.

We will test later and confirm if the verbose messages show the reset. It certainly does show in the verbose for the leonardo because that comes up as a different port after the 100baud reset but the Due stays on the same port so might be the reason for no verbose message.

Will take a look later, in the meantime pressing the reset should get around the issue all be it a pain.

Tim

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
The reset button trick doesn't work either, I've tried as many different configurations as I can think of for when I press the button and when I release the button based on the Output from VM.

You mentioned that I was using 1.5.4, and I realized that there was a more recent version of the Arduino IDE, 1.5.6-r2, so I downloaded that to give it a try, both in Atmel Studio, and on its own.

Still didn't work in Atmel Studio, but what's interesting is that it also won't work from the Arduino IDE.  It still says that there's no device on COM25.  I can switch back to 1.5.4, and it will program just fine.

So the key to this should be hidden in the differences between 1.5.4 and 1.5.6-r2.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Hmm, good test thanks but I need to test this myself. 

In a way it is good that you have the same problem with the latest Arduino because that means we can submit the problem to the arduino.cc forums and also shows the problem is with bossac.exe which is supplied with the Arduino Ide.

Because it works in 1.5.4 but not 1.5.6 this is either a timing issue in the "wait after reset" or a usb driver issue. 

Q: Did you run the Arduino 1.5.6 windows installer or did you use the zip?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
That's a good point, should I go make a thread over there, or did you want to do it?

I used the zip, I have multiple versions of Arduino on my machine, so I just put the zip folders on my desktop to keep them separate from each other.  I have to make changes in the source code for things like PWM frequency, and swap out a few digital and analog channels to get our project to work properly, so I keep separate versions of Arduino based on what changes I've made.

Something else I'm considering is buying one of these http://ladyada.net/products/atmega32u4breakout/
and programming it with the firmware that comes on the ATmega16u2 on the Arduino Due, then using that to try and program my board, eliminating the FTDI cable from the mix.  I'm still trying to determine if the 32u4 can be used as a direct replacement for the 16u2 though.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Because you have the combination with the problem I think you should make the post so that you can try out whatever is recommended

IP Logged

Tyler15

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Okay, will do.  Just wanted to make sure so we didn't end up making duplicate threads.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much, look forward to hearing the result.

By the way the reason for asking about the arduino installer is that is installs usb drivers which might or might not help in the case of the ftdi cable. Maybe check your ftdi drivers too. (I also use the zips normally so that makes sense)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint