Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Re: Boards Manager won't add new boards (Read 9902 times)
Ingmar
Newbies

Re: Boards Manager won't add new boards
Jun 22nd, 2015 at 9:58am
Print Post  
I'm trying to install ESP8266 and NavSpark (which do install in the normal arduino IDE board manager)
I have tried close to everything in this thread, but boards simply do not become available (they do not show up, they do install). Everything is downloaded, installed, etc, but nothing appears under the board selection, only the originally installed boards. In the explorer, they are marked as installed, until a VS13 restart, then all "installed" boards disappear and I am back to square one. 

I am using Arduino 1.6.5, the latest Visual Studio Community 2013, and the latest download from VisualMicro.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 11:21am
Print Post  
This means that one of your board definitions is causing a problem. There will be a new release of visual micro shortly that skips any problems so that the other boards load okay.

Where are you getting the esp8266 index file from?

IP Logged

Ingmar
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 11:54am
Print Post  
The json files are the ones provided by visualmicro in the wiki. I tried all kinds of json files, either one by one or separated by a comma.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Hi,

1)
The problem is that there is one index file that already exists that is causing the issue. So it won't matter how many you try you will hit the problem until you remove the offending item or we add a workaround in the code for the problem/difference.

You can see all the index file in users/yourname/appdata/roaming/arduino15

2)
What do you mean by the visual micro wiki? Can you provide a link to the page you are talking about?

Thanks

IP Logged

Ingmar
Newbies

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The index files I used were obtained from http://www.visualmicro.com/post/2015/05/30/The-Arduino-Community-Joins-The-Visua.... I tried them as a whole, and by individually selecting them. I also deleted the hardware and tools folders for the different platforms, but that didn't help either.

OK, so you mean that by deleting json files in yourname/appdata/roaming/arduino15, things should work?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Hi, these files are changing all the time because this is a new system from Arduino.

If you delete the index files then it will help but I don't know which one is causing the problem so if you try to add it back again via board manager options the problem will return.

Try only to add the one you need

IP Logged

Ingmar
Newbies

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Did that. Tried only ESP8266 from http://arduino.esp8266.com/package_esp8266com_index.json. Deleted the hardware and tools folders before trying to install. The folders were recreated, with the correcty files, but on restart, VS failed to display them.

I'm not in a hurry, using the normal arduino IDE for the time being. Did you notice I am using 1.6.5? Maybe there's a new issue there?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Hi,

If you do not use the board manager config in visual micro and use the arduino ide to install the 8266 then start or re-start vm do the 8266 boards appear?

IP Logged

Ingmar
Newbies

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
No, I already had the ESP8266 installed initially. As well as the Edison and Navspark toolchains. I deleted/deinstalled all of them after I read the forum topics on thuis issue because I didn't see them appear in VS. I then tried to reinstall through the VS installation. That didn't work. It said it installed and the files were put back in the original folders, and the option became grey, but after a restart, everything was beack to "not installed".

That's when I said that I tried about every single combination in this thread.

Maybe it has something to do with the 1.6.5?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
What is the url for the navspark toolchain because the esp8266 works okay in my test?

IP Logged

Ingmar
Newbies

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 12:27am
Print Post  
NavSpark is under test. You need to have the compiler installed manually under c:\opt.

See this link for a small discussion on the topic. The discussion also contains the link to the JSON file: http://www.navspark.com.tw/forum/supporting-arduino-1-6-x-through-user-hardware-...
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2015 at 12:27am by Ingmar »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I tested the esp8266 and it worked fine so I guess it is the navrspark that is the problem?

IP Logged

Ingmar
Newbies

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Don't think so as I deinstalled everything and the first install attempt was the ESP8266.

However, I don't have the time right now to do experiments. So as long as no-one else has problems, I'll assume it's something on my end.

I'll check back in a week or so.

Additional question: how can I transfer a debugger license? I have a valid serial, reinstalled my PC, and now it refuses the serial with a "Too many validations for this serial" (or something similar)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Yes you can email with your key to request a reset

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint