Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) vm hanging vs 2015 (Read 10317 times)
ctbram

vm hanging vs 2015
Oct 24th, 2015 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
installed latest version 1510.22.0 and visual studio 2015 will not start now.  Furthermore I cannot find instructions on how to uninstall the extension and have spent the entire day trying to get into visual studio to work on a critical project.

Please how can I remove the extension.  the / command given on one of the web pages does NOT work!

IP Logged

ctbram

Re: vm hanging vs 2015
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
OMFG This ithing is worse then a virus!!! I cannot uninstall it and it will not let visual studio 2015 load and I have a crappity smacking project due on Monday!!!!!!

I tried the damn / key and it does not remove visual micr4o it just dumps a long list of errors about not finding the path it's looking for!!!!

This is total bullshit!  I need to get this thing out of visual studio why does it have to be so hard to remove an extension????

I am just a pissed at microsoft for havin you have to get into a program that can potentially be corrupted by an extension in order to remove an extension!!!  Who's crappity smacking brilliant idea was that?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Yes they have a few vsix installer issues at times but fortunately very rare. I have asked you some questions in your other post hope that's okay

IP Logged

ctbram

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
I sorted it out.  I loaded vs2015 in safe mode and removed visual micro.  I realized that c++ is not installed by default anymore so I installed it (as instructed).  I am now going to reinstall visual micro and see if it is stable.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
what a star thanks. if it fixes it I will uninstall my c++ and attempt to replicate.

IP Logged

ctbram

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Well no joy.  Installed c++ and verified it was installed then reinstalled visual micro 1510.22.0 and vs 2015 is hung on startup again!  

I will reload in /safemode and once again remove visual micro and wait for this to be resolved.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2015 at 1:51am by ctbram »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Out of interest. Did you try running vs "as administrator" once with vm installed?

Quote:
Sorry to hear of the problem. There are a lot of people using the version so it's not a generic issue as far as I can tell right now. I'm not sure if its a vsix installer issue or something vm is missing.

1)
When you say you have installed visual studio in c: do you mean in the root of "c:\"?

2)
The previous version is here. Notice the /3/ in the path. The latest release is /4/

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/069a905d-387d-4415-bc37-665a5ac9c...

3)
Did you try running vs once by right clicking the shortcut and selecting "run as administrator"?

4)
Did you try resetting the settings by adding the /resetsettings switch to the vs shortcut

Change your shortcut and Run vs once "as  administrator". My shortcut would look like this
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /resetsettings

5)
Failing everything you should be able to simply delete the visual micro extension manually from a folder below the following folder. Search for this dll to find the visual micro location "Visual.Micro.Arduino.Studio.dll"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\myctgaxp.j3z

Look forward to hearing what worked and where your vs is installed

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:40pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

ctbram

Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Must have been a typo. I do not install ms vs in my c: disk.  I have an ssd and cannot afford the space.  I installed vs in the I: disk.  It's still in the default path with in the root folder /programs (*86)/...

just not on my boot disk.

I did 1-3.  The /resetsettings switch through a bunch of errors only the /safemode switch worked and allowed me to remove vm from within vs which is cleaner then yanking the .dll.

I did install c++ within vs 2015.  But after re-installing vm vs hangs (goes to not responding) and will eventually try to restart but still will not load.

As soon as I started with devenv /safemode I can then uninstall visual micro from the tools/extensions and addons.

Then when I restart vs 2015 it loads just fine.  So VM is definitely the culprit here.  

When VS 2015 first came out I had a similar problem and once again I told told many are running vm and vs 2015.  But it still took two or three updates before my system would run.  So there was and I am sure now is a problem with the installer on some machines (like mine).

So whatever was added in the 1510.22.0 update appears to have broken something again.  

I am sorry for getting so upset but I did not realize it was vm and an update that caused the issue.  I have been working on a project for over a week and just last night I worked from 6pm until 3am and when I went to bed had almost finished the job.

Well when I got up at 9am and could not launch VS it did not occur that a VM update had cause the issue.  So I scanned all my disks, reinstalled vs, and ultimately recovered from a backup which ended up wiping all the work I had done because I did not remember that I had installed the working folder onto my desktop.  

Then on top of that I spent at least 2 hours trying to remove vm because the command line option on the vm web site did not work.  Then I had to research the /safemode switch to remove vm.  So all in all this has been a pretty dissasterous update for me!
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2015 at 1:49am by ctbram »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 2:04am
Print Post  
No need for a sorry. I know how frustrating things can be when they break and vm isn't supposed to break. So the report  is useful.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Just a thought. There might be two possible things to check when you have time. 

1) If a visual micro dialog sitting behind the ide and/or showing in the task bar when the problem happens.
2) Does pressing the Alt key on the keyboard bring the ide back to life?

Thanks

IP Logged

ctbram

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Odd.  Did you do anything to change 1510.26?   

When I installed it I expected VS to hang but it started right up.

IP Logged

ctbram

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Something else I did last night that could have been an issue, although VS was starting I went through and deleted about half a dozen other extensions that I have not been using.

Perhaps I was having a conflict between VM and one of them?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 3:20am
Print Post  
No didn't change anything about startup

IP Logged

ctbram

Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 3:23am
Print Post  
When I get a chance I will pull the .26 version and roll back to .22 and see if it loads.  If so I would think it was an incompatibility issue with one of the other extensions I deleted last night.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Great, if you recall the names of the extensions that would be useful

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint