Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Problems with latest versions of Arduino/Teensy Beta and Visual Micro - Upgrade from Addin to Exte. (Read 5007 times)
SoftwareSamurai
Newbies

Problems with latest versions of Arduino/Teensy Beta and Visual Micro - Upgrade from Addin to Exte.
Mar 12th, 2016 at 2:03am
Print Post  
I've run into a few problems with this setup:

Arduino 1.6.8
Teensyduino 1.28-beta1
Visual Studio 2012 v11.0.61219.00 Update 5
Visual Micro v1603.1.0

1. {Menu Bar} Arduino Current Board Options: The three entries are initially blank. 
Can be "fixed" by selecting another board, then selecting the board I'm working with again.

2. {Menu} Tools->Visual Micro: IDE and BOARD entries are blank, and the pulldowns contain nothing. 

3. {Menu} Visual Micro: Like 2, the IDE and BOARD entries are blank, and the pulldowns contain nothing. Serial Port is blank and the pulldown contains nothing. Programmer is blank and the pulldown contains nothing.

Note: When going to {Menu} Tools->Visual Micro (Arduino 1.6)->___, the Board, Serial Port, and Programmer are all selected correctly.

4. {Menu} Visual Micro->Add Library: All I get here is "Install Arduino Library" and "Refresh". Both options seem to do nothing.

1, 2, and 3 don't seem to impact development, since I can still build and run. However 4 is a real PITA.

Anyone got any ideas?
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2016 at 1:37pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Problems with latest versions of Arduino/Teensy Beta and Visual Micro - Upgrade from Addin to Exte.
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Hi,

1)
The first thing is that you have changed from the old visual micro add-in to the new extension system. Microsoft have discontinued the older addin system which is why visual micro had to change.

On our downloads page is a note about the required procedure.

If you look in control panel>add or remove programs you will see the older "visual micro for arduino" addin that can be uninstalled.

2)

Next you are using arduino 1.6.8 and teensy beta which have only just been released. Arduino was this week teensy was probably the same. I am about to test them and as usual I expect they will have broken something Smiley

Hope that helps Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2016 at 12:22pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

SoftwareSamurai
Newbies

Re: Problems with latest versions of Arduino/Teensy Beta and Visual Micro - Upgrade from Addin to Exte.
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I thought I had uninstalled the old Visual Micro, but apparently I didn't. My mistake.

After uninstalling everything, I re-installed Arduino v1.6.8, Teensyduino v1.28-beta1, and then Visual Micro v1603.1.0. I'm happy to report that my Teensy projects all build and upload perfectly without any mods.

However (yeah, there's always something, right?), I now see a few oddities:

1. After uninstalling all copies of Visual Micro from VS 2012, I noticed the following Menu Toolbars were still defined (but blank):

Arduino Boards
Arduino Current Board Options
Arduino Serial Communications

I installed Visual Micro v1603.1.0 and tried the "Cleanup old versions", but those toolbars remained. Not a big deal: I just manually delete them.

2. The Toolbar "Micro Board Options" can support up to 10 options. For the Teensy, only 3 options are available, but the other 7 still show up as blank and grey'ed out. I know I can manually hide them, but couldn't those blank options be automatically hidden?

3. {Menu} Visual Micro->Programmer is blank, and the pulldown arrow does nothing. The Menu Toolbar "Micro Programmer" also has a blank entry and the pulldown arrow does nothing.

Does this just mean there are no programmer options for my board? It seems to me it should display current programmer even if there's no alternatives to select from.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update.

1)

Yes there is an FAQ note to say that the only items that can't be auto removed by the upgrade is the tool bars. You have to right click and remove them yourself. Most people have moved to VS2015 which never used the older system so this issue only affects people who stay with the older Ide.

2)

You can hide the Board Options bar because you will find them correctly displayed on the Visual Micro menu. 

The inability to hide the other options on tool bars has been resolved by Microsoft in VS 2015.

In VS 2015 the Boards Options bar and the Programmers bars are hidden by default. It is a short coming of VS2012-2013 that this setting is not honored. So normally I would expect users to see fewer bars by default which is the case in 2015

3)

There is not a default programmer for Teensy and I don't think the Teensy hardware definitions define any programmers. In which case it would be correct to see an empty programmers list.

IP Logged

SoftwareSamurai
Newbies

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 12:59pm:

You can hide the Board Options bar because you will find them correctly displayed on the Visual Micro menu. 

The inability to hide the other options on tool bars has been resolved by Microsoft in VS 2015.

In VS 2015 the Boards Options bar and the Programmers bars are hidden by default. It is a short coming of VS2012-2013 that this setting is not honored. So normally I would expect users to see fewer bars by default which is the case in 2015

I didn't mean hiding the entire "Micro Board Options" toolbar. Only those options within that toolbar that aren't used. But no matter - I can always go to "Add or Remove Buttons" and hide the unused options manually.

Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 12:59pm:

There is not a default programmer for Teensy and I don't think the Teensy hardware definitions define any programmers. In which case it would be correct to see an empty programmers list.

Odd - The Arduino IDE shows "AVRISP mkII" for the Teensy programmer. (Defaulted selection.)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I didn't mean hiding the entire "Micro Board Options" toolbar. Only those options within that toolbar that aren't used. But no matter - I can always go to "Add or Remove Buttons" and hide the unused options manually.

Yes we are talking about the same thing. Visual micro does tell visual studio to hide the unused options but in vs2012 and 2013 visual studio does not honor the command. So you have to delete them but that is a problem if you switch to a board that needs more than three Smiley That is why i recommend hiding the options bar and using the "Visual Micro" menu as an alternative that also includes the board options.

Quote:
Odd - The Arduino IDE shows "AVRISP mkII" for the Teensy programmer. (Defaulted selection.)

Yes exactly Smiley Teensy 3 is not AVR, the Arduino Ide shows a whole bunch of unrelated programmers all the time. 

Upload via usb is not classed as using a programmer. 

There should probably be a few showing when Teensy2 is selected but unless I hear of someone needing them there is less confusion with an empty list.

IP Logged

SoftwareSamurai
Newbies

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 6:00pm:

Yes we are talking about the same thing. Visual micro does tell visual studio to hide the unused options but in vs2012 and 2013 visual studio does not honor the command. So you have to delete them but that is a problem if you switch to a board that needs more than three Smiley That is why i recommend hiding the options bar and using the "Visual Micro" menu as an alternative that also includes the board options.

Ah, I see. (Gives M$ a stern look.)

Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 6:00pm:

Yes exactly Smiley Teensy 3 is not AVR, the Arduino Ide shows a whole bunch of unrelated programmers all the time. 

Upload via usb is not classed as using a programmer. 

There should probably be a few showing when Teensy2 is selected but unless I hear of someone needing them there is less confusion with an empty list.

Okay, so the Arduino IDE is incorrect in showing a checkmark next to the "AVRISP mkII" for the programmer for Teensy boards. Got it.

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint