Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file (Read 5741 times)
Tim Williams
Newbies

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
Nov 4th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Hi

I'm getting the following error. I have a USBasp with the drivers correctly installed (works fine with AVRDUDESS) and I have selected the Uploader->Always use programmer... option and set the programmer to USBasp. 

I have the same USB driver, board selection and VM installed on another PC and it works fine.

Program size: 17,004 bytes (used 53% of a 32,256 byte maximum) (2.55 secs)
Minimum Memory Usage: 1006 bytes (49% of a 2048 byte maximum)

Uploading '<my_project_name>' to 'Arduino/Genuino Uno' using 'USBasp'
The uploader returned an error
avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
         Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

I'm guessing that the error could be the command line for avrdude.exe isn't being correctly built. Any ideas?

[Edit] I'm using Arduino 1.6.9
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2016 at 7:51pm by Tim Williams »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Hi,

We can see the command line if you switch on vmicro>compiler>verbose and "show build properties".

In the arduino ide you can also switch on "file>preferences>verbose upload" so we can see the command line it uses.

Please post both so I can compare and see what is happening.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim Williams
Newbies

Re: avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
SOLVED

With your suggested settings, the output for the uploader within Visual Micro became:
Uploader will use programmer name: usbasp
-arduino6\bin\avrdude 3.0-arduino6/etc/avrdude.conf" -v {program.verify} -patmega328p -cusbasp -Pusb "-Uflash:w:C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\VMicroBuilds\<project name>\nano_atmega328/<project name>.ino.hex:i"
avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Sep 12 2016 at 17:24:16
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch
Error during upload using programmer
Upload failed

SOLUTION
I noticed the path to the avrdude.exe was different from the path in AVRDUDESS, which works. I simply copied the version of avrdude.exe from AVRDUDESS to the above location, replacing the original file, and it just worked!

Uploader will use programmer name: usbasp
-arduino6\bin\avrdude 3.0-arduino6/etc/avrdude.conf" -v {program.verify} -patmega328 -cusbasp -Pusb "-Uflash:w:C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\VMicroBuilds\<project name>\nano_atmega328/<project name>.ino.hex:i"
avrdude: Version 6.1, compiled on Mar 13 2014 at 00:09:49

Note: 
avrdude.exe original file size: 524,800 bytes version 6.3 (fails)
avrdude.exe replaced file size: 424,448 bytes version 6.1 (succeeds)

Many thanks for starting me off on the correct route. 

Is there a known, breaking difference between avrdude.exe 6.1 and 6.3?
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2016 at 6:20pm by Tim Williams »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Great, thanks for the update.

I am not sure of the answer to that. Arduino has been going forward and backward on the decision to move to a later avrdude version for their avr package.

To be honest you have used board manager to install another/2nd avr package but its often better not to do that. The arduino ide includes the avr under the \hardware folder. This means that when you install avr with board manager you get a fixed 2nd copy which does not get updated when you update the arduino ide.

I guess sometimes it might make sense for some people but generally makes life more difficult.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint