Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Trouble getting started with Intel Curie / Arduino 101 (Read 8952 times)
D_MK
Newbies

Trouble getting started with Intel Curie / Arduino 101
Nov 18th, 2016 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Hi everybody. I've been developing for the Arduino Mega for about a year, and now I need to run some code on the Arduino 101. I needed a board that had the same footprint as an Uno, but with more memory.

So I got into the Visual Micro board manager and installed V 1.0.7 of the Intel Curie board. I was not able to do this in the native Arduino IDE though, since my company's internet settings seem to result in the error message "Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json" I don't know if this matters, or if I even need to do this in the Arduino IDE, but so far I haven't found a way. 

Anyway, the board seemed to install just fine in Visual Micro, and I was able to select Arduino 101 from the drop down. My 101 shows up in the port selection drop down as "COM9 - Arduino 101 serial monitor". 

I had to modify some of my code once I did this, since one of my libraries (TFTv2.h) did not have definitions for the 101, and also since I was using memset(), which apparently is too close to the hardware level to be compatible with the 101.

So I got rid of those errors, but I was still not able to compile. I'll post the whole micro build output in a text attachment to this post. It contains a lot of warnings that I never saw during my development with the Mega. I don't know if they matter or not, or what's causing the "Error compiling libraries" at the end. 

One more thing- when I plug the 101 board into the PC, it shows up under "Other Devices" as "Arduino 101", but only for like 8 seconds before the device manager refreshes and it then appears under "Ports (COM & LTP)" as "Arduino 101 Serial Monitor"

Guys, thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any advice you might be able to lend. 

Output is attached at .txt file

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2016 at 12:37am by D_MK »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Trouble getting started with Intel Curie / Arduino 101
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Please make sure you are using the latest release of Visual Micro and make sure you have "Release" and not "Debug" enabled on the toolbar.

Then if you still have a problem please post the output from the build output.

IP Logged

D_MK
Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tim.

I did that, and the output looked the same. Lots of warnings  I think it has something to do with my library for my touch screen. I got the latest version of that library from github that's supposed to work with the 101, but TFTv2.h shows several errors in it. I think that the library had trouble with some of the 101-specific definitions included in the .h file, specifically these ones:

Code
Select All
#elif defined(__arc__) /* Arduino101/Genuino101 specifics */

#define TFT_DC_LOW      digitalWrite(6, LOW)
#define TFT_DC_HIGH     digitalWrite(6, HIGH)
#define TFT_CS_LOW      digitalWrite(5, LOW)
#define TFT_CS_HIGH     digitalWrite(5, HIGH)
#define TFT_BL_OFF      digitalWrite(7, LOW)
#define TFT_BL_ON       digitalWrite(7, HIGH)

So that wherever those parts were called out in the class part of the file, they were in error. So I tried taking those definitions and replacing them wherever they occurred, like this:

Code
Select All
class TFT
{

public:

inline void sendCMD(INT8U index)
    {
		digitalWrite(6, LOW); //TFT_DC_LOW;        /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
		digitalWrite(5, LOW);  ////////
        SPI.transfer(index);
		digitalWrite(5, HIGH);  //TFT_CS_HIGH;/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    }

...and so on.

But I'm still getting what appears to be the same kind of compiling errors that I was getting before.

And further, now that I'm opening up some of my other .h files that appear in my solution, I'm seeing some more errors show up. Specifically, SPI.h is showing errors under the "beginTransaction" function, and Xbee.h is showing an error where it includes #include <inttypes.h>. 

Am I totally missing some critical information on the compatibility of different libraries and the 101? Because it doesn't seem like anything works on this board.

I'm attaching the latest output in a .txt file.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I forgot to ask you to switch on the following properties so we can see more detail

vMicro>Compiler>Verbose and "show build properties"

Then build and post the output

Also give any urls to libraries you have installed.

Thanks

IP Logged

D_MK
Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Hi again, I was finally able to upload a simple program to the 101. I tried installing different versions of the Arduino IDE, and it was finally version 1.6.11 that successfully installed the curie board drivers. I didn't have to use the board manager in Visual Micro at all.

But I still seem to be having a problem compiling with some of my libraries. I've attached the latest verbose output in .txt format. 

The libraries that are throwing errors don't have any red in them with the 101 board selected. I don't see any problems with them when I open them up. 

On the contrary, it's still SPI.h that has a couple errors in it when the 101 board is selected.

The libraries I'm calling out in my sketch are:

Code
Select All
#include <stdint.h>//For Seedstudio Touch
#include <TFTv2.h>//For Seedstudio Touch
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SeeedTouchScreen.h>   //Seedstudio LCD touch screen Library File
#include <SD.h>//For Seedstudio Touch
#include <XBee.h>   //Zigbee Wireless transciever Library File
#include <Printers.h>   //Zigbee Wireless transciever Library File

But according to the verbose output, other (standard) libraries are implicated in the issue. Should I somehow be calling out a whole different set of standard libraries for the 101?

as far as the libraries I'm using, here's a list:

https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Touch_Screen_Driver

https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/TFT_Touch_Shield_V2 (This one I've Frankensteined together with someone's code for text direction for my touchscreen.)

https://github.com/andrewrapp/xbee-arduino

And all the other ones are standard libraries that I didn't have to add myself. They just came with Visual Micro.

Thanks for your advice!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Hi, does it work in the Arduino ide?

IP Logged

D_MK
Newbies

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
No, it doesn't. It compiles and loads just fine for the Mega 2560 using either IDE, but if I plug in and select the 101, it looks like I get the same result.

Undecided

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Sounds like the libraries don't support the 101. Have you seen documentation that says otherwise?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
sorry I was't clear. here is a better question...

do you know for sure the libraries are compatible with the 101?

IP Logged

D_MK
Newbies

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Well, most of these problems seem to be coming from the standard libraries that came with the IDE. So that's the question I'm asking you

If I select the 101 board off of the list and some of the standard libraries won't compile, what do I need to do in Visual Micro to fix this? Does Visual Micro have different libraries for the 101? I can't find any information after three days of searching the internet, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the IDE and the way it invokes standard libraries.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
The libs look okay for the 101 except the touchscreen

Switch on "vmicro>compiler>verbose" then build that should show more clearly the error source

IP Logged

D_MK
Newbies

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I've already uploaded the verbose output as per your request. It mentions the following libraries, noted by the number of times mentioned: 

Sd2Card.cpp  (x2)
SdFile.cpp       (x4)
TFTv2.cpp      (x2)
SeeedTouchScreen.cpp  (x11)
pins_arduino.h    (x14)
Arduino.h (x1)
wiring_private.h (x1)
variant.h (x9)

SeeedTouchScreen.cpp seems to be a problem child for some reason, but there's a lot going on here. I was just hoping to gain some kind of insight beyond the obvious conclusion that there's an issue with the libraries.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Sorry, to be honest I really only get time to support the plugin, not specific code or libraries. Each library usually has a git issues/questions area but I think seedstudio also have a forum.

The #include "avr\ can often signify atmel avr processors (such as atmega and uno) not other hardware such as intel
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:46pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint