Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: cc1.exe*: error: -fno-fat-lto-objects are supported only with linker plugi (Read 5177 times)
mike2058
Newbies

Re: cc1.exe*: error: -fno-fat-lto-objects are supported only with linker plugi
Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I just upgraded to the newest version of VM using VS2017RC and getting a similar error message on a new project with no code added (I get this error message on all my older projects as well) C++ projects without VM compile as expected:

Compiling 'Sketch7' for 'Arduino Nano w/ ATmega328'

cc1.exe*: error: -fno-fat-lto-objects are supported only with linker plugin
Error compiling core
Build failed for project 'Sketch7'

Did all the updates for VS and ReSharper C++ and still get the same error. Is this a bug or what's the fix if not?
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:08pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I have split your post into its own thread because that's the easiest way to ask questions and communicate. 

Did you also upgrade the arduino ide? 

For compile errors please switch on vmicro>compiler>verbose and "show build properties". then build. Copy the output into a new .txt file and emaill to info[at]visualmicro.com with a link to this post or post it here.

Thanks

IP Logged

mike2058
Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim,

If you mean update Visual Micro through the VS extension manager, yes. I even uninstalled and reinstalled it. It is currently running V1702.18.0 if that helps.

IP Logged

mike2058
Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Here is the verbose compiler messages. Again, this is a project with nothing added to it from the template.

Compiling 'Sketch7' for 'Arduino Nano w/ ATmega328'
Build Folder: file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Local/Temp/VMBuilds/Sketch7/nano_atmega328/Debug
Summary: Header=1 Prototypes=3 Imports=0
Additional Defines: 
Architecture Tools: file:///c:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/
Sketch Book: file:///C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Arduino
Sketch Include Paths
Core Include Paths
Include Path 6.13/cores/arduino
Include Path 6.13/variants/eightanaloginputs
Searching for libraries ...
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR cores\arduino" variants\eightanaloginputs" cpp" -o "nul"

Building variant ...

Building core ...
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -c -g -x assembler-with-cpp -flto -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR cores\arduino" variants\eightanaloginputs" res\arduino\wiring_pulse.S" -o ing_pulse.S.o"  
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -flto -fno-fat-lto-objects -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR cores\arduino" variants\eightanaloginputs" res\arduino\hooks.c" -o ks.c.o"

Error compiling core
cc1.exe*: error: -fno-fat-lto-objects are supported only with linker plugin
Build failed for project 'Sketch7'

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I think the problem is that you have installedthe latest avr 1.6.12 avr package in board manager. However you are using a really old version of the arduino ide which doesn't really support the board manager.

Open board manager and click the avr package, select yes to remove/uninstall. Then click rescan and it should be okay.

we can see arduino in:-
c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc

is version 1.6.5 (-DARDUINO=10605)

and that you have installed arduino 1.6.13 avr tool chain

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.13\

Interestingly with board manager the need for a link to the arduino has been removed. In fact you can see it's now just something else to upgade and think about. Normally you would not have to think about it but because you have one of the few older arduino 1.6 versions that supports old or different board system it's going to confuse.

The next release of visual micro optionally allows you to work without an arduino ide which would have avoided the confusion.

IP Logged

mike2058
Newbies

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Thanks for your quick response, Tim. I used Visual Micro for a few years now and love it. It's a good product. 

The problem was with the Arduino IDE. When I opened it from Windows it ran v1.6.1 so I updated it and got a new error. VM wasn't able to find the "arduino.h" and "pins_arduino.h" files. Long story short, I was able to track down that there were three different Adriano IDEs on the hard drive. I suppose over the years I installed them in different locations for one reason or another. The version in the Programs folder in the Arduino folder in the Documents folder were both 1.8.1 and were installed last fall. 

The setup window in VM Explorer pointed to the one in the Program folder. So I uninstalled VM and the Arduino IDE and used a registry cleaner. I moved the 3rd party libraries to a safe place and deleted the Arduino folders. 

After that, VS refused to start and hung after complaining it couldn't find VM and that VM was installed - go figure that one. so I repaired VS and once running, closed it and installed a fresh copy of the Arduino IDE and VM downloaded from your site and not from the the Extension Manager (if that even made a difference). 

And now it works just fine. The code compiles and VS seems to be working a bit faster - but that might be in my imagination... lol. 

Please consider the problem fixed and I am happy to hear that VM won't depend on the Arduino IDE in the future. Again, this is a great product. Thanks. 

-Mike

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Great well done. Yes that was confusing. Unfortunately arduino 1.6.0 anf 1.6.1 were really offshoots of Arduino v1.5x. 

If anyone reading this wants to stick with 1.6.0 or 1.6.1 then use the Arduino 1.5.x app in Visual Micro.

Fortunately Arduino 1.6.2 introduced a new format which is more flexible and hopefully won't change again soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint