Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) No "Atmel mEDBG" option in vMicro uploader drop down in Atmel Studio (Read 5661 times)
Tammybai
Ex Member

No "Atmel mEDBG" option in vMicro uploader drop down in Atmel Studio
Jul 19th, 2018 at 2:19am
Print Post  
I'm looking for a way to make the vMicro "build and upload" button actually do just that: build and upload the project (in one action).

I have an Xplained mini ATmega328PB.

The only way I seem to be able to use it with vMicro is to select the "Atmel Studio Device Programming" option.

I have seen in other forums that there ought to be a "Atmel mEDBG" option in the "uploader" drow-down in the vMicro menu in Atmel Studio, but I can't seem to find it: Cheesy

https://imgur.com/HlUVQZh

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: No "Atmel mEDBG" option in vMicro uploader drop down in Atmel Studio
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Hi,

There is a visual micro programmer called "Use atmel device programming". Use that.

Then you can use the standard atmel studio device properties to set your programmer and visual micro will launch that instead of normal arduino when you click build and upload.

Make sense?
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2018 at 10:30am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tammybai
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
i know you're to do be it that way.  the problem the that it takes like 5 clicks to do every time you want to program

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
I think there is some confusion. Maybe our atmel 7 page needs to be made clearer.

When you have set visual micro to use atmel device programming then normal start>debug, start>without debug and all Visual Micro Build+Upload options should automatically upload using the device you specify in Project>Property Pages>Device/Tool.

Maybe you missed the project properties to set the atmel device for your project? You are using atmel features to upload so the project/device configuration is using the standard atmel features.

When configured, it should work exactly as you describe.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2018 at 2:43pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tammybai
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Here is a video demonstrating how many times I have to move the mouse around and click on small buttons in order to compile/build/upload to my ATmega328PB Xplained Mini board: 

https://youtu.be/OEl-nI9BLdc

Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
I think there is some confusion. Maybe our atmel 7 page needs to be made clearer.

Not sure if it's the Visual Micro site's fault or Microchip's fault, but all of the links just send me to the Microphip.com homepage.

When you have set visual micro to use atmel device programming then normal start>debug, start>without debug and all Visual Micro Build+Upload options should automatically upload using the device you specify in Project>Property Pages>Device/Tool.

This was my experience before installing Visual Micro.  Now it seems as though the vMicro-->upload setting is trumping the native project properties device/tool setting.

Maybe you missed the project properties to set the atmel device for your project?

Here is a screenshot of the project properties page: https://imgur.com/a/pWpmluK

You are using atmel features to upload so the project/device configuration is using the standard atmel features.

When configured, it should work exactly as you describe.

Hopefully together we can figure out how to make it so! Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2018 at 1:03am by »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Hi,

1)
The vMicro>Build and Upload is for novice users and I doubt it works as smoothly when using atmel device programming. You can use the standard Atmel build and upload commands, Visual Micro handles them. 

So use F7 or Debug>Start or Debug>Start without debugging.

2)
In your video it is not clear what happens if you  just click Close when device programming opens?

3)
You have selected to also use atmel studio debugging. I would do that only after you have upload working as required. It also has no effect if you do not use the atmel menus to build and upload. So again please don't use the vmicro build options for your configuration.

4) Quote:

You have not said which page you are looking at and which link you are clicking. I just clicked the "More Information" link on the Visual Micro Gallery page and it took me to the correct page. I also clicked the Atmel 7 link at the top of the Visual Micro home page and that also took me to the correct page.

Hopefully the issues are all focused around using standard atmel build and upload shortcuts when using native atmel device programming and/or debugging.

IP Logged

Tammybai
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 20th, 2018 at 11:17am:
Hi,

1)
The vMicro>Build and Upload is for novice users and I doubt it works as smoothly when using atmel device programming. You can use the standard Atmel build and upload commands, Visual Micro handles them. 

So use F7 or Debug>Start or Debug>Start without debugging.

Here is a video of what happens when I use the Atmel build and upload commands (spoiler alert, it's the same as in my last video):

https://youtu.be/7Sn1YjWWnQ0

Note: I also tried un-selecting the vMicro->Uploader->Always Use Programmer For Upload option, and subsequently running the Debug->Start without debugging command, however I then simply get the following output error:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": Access is denied.

2)
In your video it is not clear what happens if you  just click Close when device programming opens?

Nothing happens if I just click "Close".  No firmware is uploaded.  I go back to square 1 (start of video).

3)
You have selected to also use atmel studio debugging. I would do that only after you have upload working as required. It also has no effect if you do not use the atmel menus to build and upload. So again please don't use the vmicro build options for your configuration.

I tried de-selecting Atmel Studio debugging option in vMicro->Debugger, but the same behaviour persists (i.e. its the same behaviour as my videos show).

4)
You have not said which page you are looking at and which link you are clicking. I just clicked the "More Information" link on the Visual Micro Gallery page and it took me to the correct page. I also clicked the Atmel 7 link at the top of the Visual Micro home page and that also took me to the correct page.

It's this page:  https://www.visualmicro.com/page/Atmel-Studio-7.aspx

This feels like an issue where the native Atmel Debug-->Start without Debugging command is getting routed to Visual Micro logic, which is then invoking the default "Device Programming" command in Atmel, which in turn launches the window shown in my videos.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2018 at 12:57pm by »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Note: I also tried un-selecting the vMicro->Uploader->Always Use Programmer For Upload option, and subsequently running the Debug->Start without debugging command, however I then simply get the following output error:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": Access is denied.

When you upload to an arduino using a programmer it kills the bootloader. It's also possible your board never had a bootloader so that is why you don't see a serial port and can't use normal arduino usb type of upload.

Quote:

This is the page that is linked in the gallery and on our home page. The link you have is about ateml studio only and not about using arduino in atmel studio

https://www.visualmicro.com/page/Arduino-for-Atmel-Studio-7.aspx

Quote:
This feels like an issue where the native Atmel Debug-->Start without Debugging command is getting routed to Visual Micro logic, which is then invoking the default "Device Programming" command in Atmel, which in turn launches the window shown in my videos.

I will try it. I see in your video that you have to switch the board from atmega2560 to 328p. I would not expect you to need to do that and would expect Visual Micro to have set the correct board in project>device properties. 

However I also notice that you don't have a standard arduino board selected. The name "mega328p" is not a standard board so please confirm what you have installed to give that board name?

If you want to use standard arduino upload then burn a bootloader and then switch off atmel device programming and use normal usb upload.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2018 at 1:11pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tammybai
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I was hoping that I could use the mEDBG uploader, not the standard Arduino serial bootloader uploader.  My question boils down to: how can I do that without clicking a million times every time I want to upload a new binary.

All I'm using vMicro for is to be able to use the Arduino core libraries, I don't require any of vMicro's/Arduino's bootloader, uploader, or debugger support features.

I have installed MCUdude's MiniCore project, which provides Arduino IDE support for the ATmega328PB --> which is the board I'm using (not the ATmega328p)

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the clear reports. I have found the issue.

The Mini and Micro cores are the first cores to specify the mcu name via board options. These options were not available to visual micro when setting non-build properties such as intellisense and more importantly the current device name for  the project.

If you recall I said that you should not have to switch from atmega2560 to the 328 when uploading. The mega2560 is defaulted in atmel 8 bit projects if Visual Micro can not resolve the mcu or the mcu resolves to an incompatible type such as 32bit in an 8bit project.

There is a new release of visual micro that will be published to the atmel gallery over the next week or so. The build can be downloaded now from the releases forum section

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

IP Logged

Tammybai
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Awesome, thanks for the new release, I like some of the features in it (like the Arduino core files being available to browse from inside the project).

Unfortunately the new update did not resolve the issue I'm talking about.

For clarity's sake, I have uploaded a video to YouTube that shows me trying to build/compile a program for my Xplained Mini ATmega329PB board with and without Visual Micro installed, so you can get a sense of what I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/9tBVJln0TCE

The first upload attempt is using Atmel's Start without debugging button.  It builds fine but then vMicro gets involved for some reason and loads the Device programming dialogue box, effectively quashing all possibility of having a one-click build/upload button.

The second upload attempt is using vMicro's Build and upload button.  The exact same behaviour occurs.

The third attempt is after I uninstall vMicro extension in Atmel Studio, before restarting Atmel Studio.  The exact same behaviour occurs.

After closing/reopening Atmel Studio (after removing vMicro extension), the desired functionality has returned whereby a single click of the Atmel Start without debugging button magically builds and uploads the new firmware to my board.

I'm not quite sure why I can still compile Arduino-ese code in Atmel Studio after uninstalling vMicro, but my guess is that vMicro "Arduinofies" an Atmel Studio project upon the project's creation, and therefore the toolchain has everything it needs to build the firmware once you create a vMicro project (even after uninstalling vMicro).

So, it would seem that I have found a workaround for my problem:

- Install vMicro every time you want to create a project
- Uninstall vMicro after the project gets created

Hopefully this will get resolved at some point as this is a pretty lack-lustre workaround. Shocked
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:12am by »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Thanks but its really important to say which mcu is selected in the atmel project properties NOT in device programming. 

Your video did not show the atmel project properties, the project tool or the project device. These two tabs on project properties are critical.

To be sure, if you switch to a different board and then back to your board then re-open project properties is the mcu you are expecting selected? IE: no longer shows mega2560?

btw: You have to close and reopen project properties to be sure you are looking at the correct details. The properties window doesn't refresh as well as the one in visual studio.

You are also using a core that sets the selected mcu via board options. If you look on the v micro menu you will see the board options and now the specify the mcu your core supports. 

You need to make sure you select the 328PB variant on the vMicro menu. Then open project properties and the correct mcu should be selected as far as the as7 project is concerned. Make sure you set the device in the project properties to mEDBG.

IP Logged

Tammybai
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:34am:
Your video did not show the atmel project properties, the project tool or the project device. These two tabs on project properties are critical.

To be sure, if you switch to a different board and then back to your board then re-open project properties is the mcu you are expecting selected? IE: no longer shows mega2560?

That's correct.

btw: You have to close and reopen project properties to be sure you are looking at the correct details. The properties window doesn't refresh as well as the one in visual studio.

Good to know.  I checked this and have confirmed that the project properties were correctly set.

You are also using a core that sets the selected mcu via board options. If you look on the v micro menu you will see the board options and now the specify the mcu your core supports.

I have always had the correct board and variant selected in the vMicro menu.

You need to make sure you select the 328PB variant on the vMicro menu. Then open project properties and the correct mcu should be selected as far as the as7 project is concerned. Make sure you set the device in the project properties to mEDBG.

This is all verified.

My problem still persists.

https://youtu.be/BZaTJo9AXkY

Here is a YouTube video I made which shows all of my Project Properties settings as well as my toolchain settings, as well as all vMicro project settings, as well as the vMicro menu.

At the end of the video I click "Start without debugging" and the same thing happens as in my previous posts: the Atmel Device Programming dialogue is loaded, thus halting the automatic build/upload process.

I really think that the issue here is that there is no option for an mEDBG uploader in the vMicro-->Uploader-->Programmer dropdown menu.

Cry

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Okay thanks for the info.

The programmers in the list are read from installed cores or provided as extensions from users who have made a programmers.txt file for their programmer. Arduino comes with a few standard ones.

You installed the MiniCore, but maybe atmel have produced an arduino core with the mEDBG programmer in an arduino format programmers.txt. then visual micro should show it.

What happens if you set the tool bar to Release mode and also switch off "Debugger>Use atmel debugging". That might be confusing things and we don't need debug yet.

The only project property that Visual Micro has ever set for upload is the Device/Mcu name. After building Visual Micro simply allows Atmel studio to do whatever it wants and has no control over which dialogs open.

On the Build>Configuration manager menu you could try unchecking the Build checkbox to see if that helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint