Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Industduino avr: The uploader process failed - avrdude: can't open config file (Read 7500 times)
N Khan

Industduino avr: The uploader process failed - avrdude: can't open config file
Sep 23rd, 2018 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I cannot upload the sketch to Arduino board from VM. But Arduino IDE arduino-1.6.5-r5 can do it. This means the sketch, controller and comm port are fine.

Arduino: Industruino 1286 (Leonerdo compatible)
Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017; v 15.8.14
Arduino for Visual Studio - 1.0
Visual Micro Pro (purchased 28 June 2018; and updated recently).
IDE Folder location: E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5
Sketchbook location: E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\portable\sketchbook

Error msg detail:
E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude "-CE:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf" -v -pat90usb1286 -cavr109 -PCOM6 -b57600 -D ino.hex:i"
The uploader process failed
avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch
         System wide configuration file is "E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf"
avrdude: can't open config file "E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf": No such file or directory
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf"

Correct location avrdude.conf is:
E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\Industruino\avr\install\avrdude.conf
Another different version of avrdude.conf also present at following location:
E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf

Somehow the {path} data mentioned in the platform.txt is wrong that is as follows:
tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf

How to correct the whole path of avrdude.conf to E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\Industruino\avr\install\avrdude.conf ?

Thanks in advance for your support.
Regards
NK
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2018 at 3:47pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: VM error: The uploader process failed - avrdude: can't open config file
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I think your arduino ide install is corrupt. This folder is not part of 1.6.x install and/or doesn't appear to be a valid 3rd party hardware definition/extension?

E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/Applications

I suggest copying your \portable folder. then removing your 1.6.5 folder and re-adding using the 1.6.5-r2 zip file from arduino.cc then put your portable folder back.

My suggestion would be to avoid using the root of the e drive, go down one more level like this. It can be expanded with new arduino ide's more easily.

e:\arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2
e:\arduino\arduino-1.8.x

ps: If you change the ide path don't forget to also update the "IDE Locations" in visual micro.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2018 at 10:57am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Hi Visual Micro Administrator/Tim Leek,
Thank you for your reply. No the problem remains same after I did what you said. 
The path in the error message (see my last post): "E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf" has 2 issues as below.

Apparently, the following line in E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\Industruino\avr\platform.txt (attached) gives rise to the 2 issues:
tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf

1. {path} in this line gives wrong path portion "E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr" (see error message in last post). 
How to fix that?
2. The platform.txt also supplies the following wrong path portion:
"/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf"
See the correct path in my last post.
This text can be directly edited to rectify.

There are 2 different platform.txt files:
E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\Industruino\avr\platform.txt (uploaded 1st; this is used by VM)
E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\arduino\avr\platform.txt (uploaded 2nd)

Thanks in advance for your support.
Regards,

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Hi Tim Leek
I wonder if you find some to think about it?
Kind regards

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Industruino is not a part of 1.6.5

Where have you installed Industruino and why are you not using board manager?

If you are using board manager then do not use older arduino versions. They changed the windows arduino config folder so that will confuse

Use arduino 1.8.5 or latest release. Arduino 1.8 is almost same as 1.6

IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tim.
Pls see my answers below. The problem is still unsolved.
Where have you installed Industruino and why are you not using board manager?
Industruino 1286 is a Leonardo compatible controller. It provides the Industruino 1286 Board Definition Files that has a Readme file that suggests "Please copy the "Industruino" folder into your Arduino IDE  "Hardware" folder". I did so and I can compile & upload sketches using Arduino IDE (1.6.5) for Industruino 1286.

The Board manager lists "Industruino 1286". So, this works with native Arduino IDE 1.6.5.

Industruino Readme file did not ask to use Board manager to install the board. It seems that they did not make JSON file for Industruino 1286 for Board Manager as per https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Cores? But they provided Core files.

The E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\portable\preferences.txt  file has the following line for hardware path which is right.
last.ide.1.6.5.hardwarepath=E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware
Probably that is why Arduino native IDE can find the Indutruino board definition files and .

If you are using board manager then do not use older arduino versions. They changed the windows arduino config folder so that will confuse
Board manger started with 1.6.2!

Use arduino 1.8.5 or latest release. Arduino 1.8 is almost same as 1.6
Industruino 1286 supports only arduino 1.6.5. 

I shall appreciate your further support.

IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Hi Tim
Arduino IDE can compile and download the sketch. So nothing wrong with the way Industruino as been installed. So there must be a bug with Visual Micro.

How does Visual Micro gets {path}=E:\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr? If this can be solved - the issue can be resolved I believe (by editing platform.txt for rest of the path (tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/Industruino/avr/install/avrdude.conf

We purchased the Visual Micro Pro but yet could not use it.
Please help.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the info. If you have manually installed 3rd party hardware into your arduino ide folder then please always give download and install instructions when creating new forum threads.

Thanks

IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Hi,
As I already stated above - board definition files were installed manually. The installation instruction is available at https://industruino.com/page/techcentre. I am quoting the relevant text in red as below: 

For 1286 topboard (EOL):

Follow the assembly guide to assemble your kit.
Download the support file package. Direct link: for Arduino IDE 1.6.5 or for Arduino IDE 1.0.*  (versions above Arduino IDE 1.6.5 not supported for 1286). 

Install the included libraries, and any others you may need from our github repository.

Install the included board definition files. If you use Windows also install the included CDC USB->Serial driver.
In the Arduino IDE go to Tools->Boards and select "Industruino 1286".
You are now ready to use the example sketches which are included in the libraries as a starting point for your own applications.

I have attached the support files as zip here for you. Hope it gets uploaded.
Pls let me know what else you want.
Your further comment/resolution will be appreciated.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I missed that but thanks for the download link.

I installed the "Industruino" hardware folder into "myDocuments\arduino\hardware" and the folders under "Libraries" into "myDocuments\arduino\libraries" and it builds okay but I am using the next release.

There is a release with a few fixes due over the next 24 hours so please also try that.

more ...

It is best to use a virgin arduino ide and to add your custom hardware to the "myDocuments\arduino\hardware" folder. This is a special location that is recommended and supported by the arduino ide and makes support easier. It also allows you to upgrade the arduino ide without having to reinstall the hardware.

If you have continued problem then please switch on vmicro>compiler>verbose and also "show build properties". Then post the output as a .txt file or email it to info[at]visualmicro.com

Thanks
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2018 at 5:26pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Hi Tim
E:\myDocuments\arduino is now contains the virgin portable Arduino 1.6.5-r5 IDE.

VM now builds after installation of the new version. But it cannot upload sketch to Industruino 1286 controller.

The attached txt file (attachment 1) contains the verbose output from VM.

*You may consider using Arduino IDE 1.6.5.r5 for your tests.
**I also installed Arduino IDE 1.6.5.r5 at C:/Users/naser/Documents/Arduino using installer arduino-1.6.5-r5-windows.exe. But result is same. See attachment 2.
*** Native Arduino IDE 1.6.5.r5 can build and upload in each case above. This confirms that nothing wrong with native Arduino installations.

Thanks and fingers crossed.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Industruino avr: The uploader process failed - avrdude: can't open config file
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Hi,

This error appears to be caused by some invalid config in the Industuino core.

This is an extract from the avr platform.txt from inside your zip.

You can see that tools.avrdude.config.path is incorrectly set to the "/Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware"

This area of arduino has been maturing/changing in the past couple of years but the path specified in the platform.txt has never been valid. I expect older arduino versions might be forcing this path.

You can force it yourself by adding a board.txt to your project then adding this to it. Click save for the board.txt before clicking upload to try it. 

add a board.txt to your project and put this in it...

Code (C++)
Select All
tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/etc/avrdude.conf 

note: you do not have to install the industruino below the arduino ide. You can use your sketchbook\hardware folder instead which then survives future ide upgrades. I installed the hardware into "C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Arduino\Hardware\Industruino" so that i could see the platform.txt in "C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Arduino\Hardware\Industruino\avr". Using this method avoids altering the arduino ide installation.

this is what is in the platform.txt. you can see the invalid path! ... (Applications/Arduino 1.6.3.app/Contents/Java/hardware/)

Code (C++)
Select All
# AVR Uploader/Programmers tools
# ------------------------------

tools.avrdude.path={runtime.tools.avrdude.path}
tools.avrdude.cmd.path={path}/bin/avrdude

Debugging with the Industruino

To use the usb upload port for debugging add the following to the project board.txt

Code (C++)
Select All
vm.debug.class_type.Serial=VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_USBSERIAL

To use Serial1 set "vMicro>Debugger>Remote Port" to Serial1 and ensure the local port is set to the PC COM port connected to Serial1
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:18pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

N Khan

Re: Industduino avr: The uploader process failed - avrdude: can't open config file
Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Thank you Tim - putting board.txt in the project folder has worked.

It will be nice if the VM can read board.txt from a common path instead of putting into every project folder.

Thanks and finger crossed.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Industduino avr: The uploader process failed - avrdude: can't open config file
Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
1) Bug in your build definition

You can edit and correct the platform.txt

2) Debug

You can put the command in platform.txt or add to each board in boards.txt

I have changed the command for the debug on the Serial port. This enables you to also use Serial1 if required.

IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tim.

I tried to edit platform.txt but I am not an expert so could not figure out what to "edit and correct".
Please do provide more details.

Thanks and fingers crossed.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Look for tools.avrdude.config.path=

IP Logged

N Khan

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks - the solution has been so simple!  Smiley 

regards
Naser

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint