Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Go to Definition (show source code) not working (Read 2102 times)
modtronix-au
Newbies

Go to Definition (show source code) not working
Nov 4th, 2018 at 3:34am
Print Post  
I am using Visual Micro for many project. Working fine, but "Go to Definition" (show source code) does not work. My current ESP8266 project works, compiles and programs fine. The IDE jumps to the *.h file, but not to the source code. Same for Arduino API functions, or functions of installed libraries. Any ideas? I am using Visual Studio Community 2015. 

Update:
I tried it on a project with only Arduino Uno, and the same thing. The IDE only ever jumps to the *.h include file, but never to the source code definition.

Update:
I installed Eclipse with the Sloeber Eclipse Arduino plugin, and it works with this IDE. In my ESP8266 project, "ctrl-click" will take me to the declaration and definition of functions.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:02pm by modtronix-au »  

IP Logged

Jo Sto
Ex Member

Re: Go to Declaration (show source code) not working
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:33am
Print Post  
That's so!

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1410563/what-is-the-difference-between-a-def...

GotoDeclaration jumps to prototype in h file
GotoDefinition  jumps to sourcecode

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Go to Declaration (show source code) not working
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Jo Sto is correct.

It is also worth mentioning that if you are try to "goto definition" on the underlying esp32 core it is a good idea to click "vMicro>Toggle Hidden Files". This does not affect compilation but can help.

There is also a new version of visual micro due over the next few days which improves the esp intellisense inline with the newer toolchain it now uses.

IP Logged

modtronix-au
Newbies

Re: Go to Definition (show source code) not working
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I had my "definition" and "declaration" mixed in original question. Fixed it now. Also added some updates to post.

Thanks, the "vMicro-->Toggle Hidden Files" seems to have fixed it. It now jumps to function declaration and definition of ESP8266 library classes and functions!
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:25pm by modtronix-au »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint