Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Am I able to build and export a .hex file without a bootloader using VMicro in Visual Studios? (Read 1872 times)
Cdavis999
Newbies

Am I able to build and export a .hex file without a bootloader using VMicro in Visual Studios?
Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I am using the Vmicro Extension and specifically the 328pb MCU opened in Visual Studios. I am working on a project and noticed that upon compilation and upload there is a file <project>.ino.hex that is generated. This file contains the bootloader for the 328pb which is great for initial upload, but when needing to deploy updates to the project I would like to be able to just upload a new .hex file of the new software. Similarly in the Arduino IDE, in your project's location you can see a <project>.ino.hex and a <project>.ino.bootloader.hex or something similar like that. i.e. two separate hex files, one containing the bootloader and one without. I am wondering if there is a way to do this in VMicro, output both a bootloader hex and a hex WITHOUT a bootloader. Thank you for any and all support!

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Am I able to build and export a .hex file without a bootloader using VMicro in Visual Studios?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report.

If you can upload a build log with the settings shown at the top of the page it will help us to understand and replicate your environment fully so we can advise more specifically.

Visual Micro should do the same as the Arduino IDE for a given board, and these files can be found in the Build Folder (Enable vMicro > Compiler > Verbose to see this in the output).  You can also enable vMicro > Compiler > Copy Build Output to Intermediate, which will copy the hex/bin files to a folder beneath your project after compilation (again enable vMicro > Compiler > Verbose to see this location).

IP Logged

Cdavis999
Newbies

Re: Am I able to build and export a .hex file without a bootloader using VMicro in Visual Studios?
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply, by doing "enable vMicro > Compiler > Copy Build Output to Intermediate" allowed me to view the two files I was looking for. 

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Great. You can also switch on "vMicro>Compiler>Show Build Folder". That provides simple clickable link in the basic output.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint